Error when copying files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .JahJahwarrior., Jun 16, 2010.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Recently been having issues when moving files around. It's happened twice now, and I don't know why. It seems to only happen with .jpg's moving from my harddrive onto something else. It gives an error because "some data in blanketyblank.jpg can't be read or written." As far as I know, I've never done anythign to keep any of the files I'm trying to copy from being read or written, so I don't know what is up here.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Always the same file(s)?

Did you do Get Info on it/them/one? (permissions)

3. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Different set of files. I just assumed one of my files was bad, as the first set was some images downloaded from the net. However, the second set was a batch of my own photos, and when I go the same error message, I got concerned. I'll see if I can find anything in get info.

4. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the error message I get. Get info tells me I can read and write as regards that file.

5. Slux macrumors member

Slux

Are you transferring these files over a wireless connection or via ethernet?

I've had similar problems copying large numbers of photos between computers wirelessly. I wrote it off to an intermittent wifi dropout and used a cable instead.

6. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

First set was over Dropbox, the second set was over a USB cable.

I restarted the computer, thinking that might fix it. It didn't. I deleted the file it said it was having troubles with, and now it has trouble with the next one. The files are not the first files in the bunch, they are in the middle.