Error when downgrading to 1.1.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supdog1012, Nov 16, 2007.

1. supdog1012 macrumors newbie

when i try to downgrade to 1.1.1 to install the jailbreak, every time itunes says "Unkown error (1)"

can any1 help me with this?

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i would expect apple wouldn't expect people to not like their behind the scenes improvements so much as to want to downgrade, so they wouldn't design around it.

btw, you can jailbreak 1.1.2:eek:

3. supdog1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Maegulimavri macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

i have the proper 1.1.1 firmware file, for ipod touch. I re-name as it should be named, and when i go to restore, iTunes prepares the touch for restoration (ie wipes the touch clean), commences the restoration after extracting the firmware file and stops. iTunes declares that it could not update and encountered an unknown error (1).

I upgraded to 1.1.2, thinking i could always go back, now i am stuck in 1.1.2 world with no Jailbreak!

It sounds like a serious problem in that it does not seem to be ubiquitous, with few people suffering the error. I gathered that error 1015 was predominant (or was that just for iPhone?). But for those who are unfortunate to suffer this error, from, as far as i can gather, no fault of their own, it is very frustrating.

Anyone have any comments?

5. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

make sure you have the zipped file and not the unzipped

if when you downloaded the firmware you got a folder, that's wrong, go to the trash can and get the zipped file, restore it and then rename it buy just deleting the .zip part at the end.

6. 667-75 macrumors newbie

Weird...I just downgraded (restored) to 1.1.1 w/o any problem whatsoever. I just shift-clicked the "restore" button, selected the appropriate firmware and iTunes did the rest :)

btw, the complete firmware filename is: iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

Now maybe there is a difference between merely downgrading via the "update" button and fully restoring the unit, I don't know...

7. Maegulimavri macrumors newbie

Re: the downloading of a folder - that is normal for mac/safari users as there .zip files are extracted automatically. To get the .ipsw file back simply requires a compression and a re-naming of the file.

Re: as for using the full 'proper' name of the 1.1.1 firmware file - I tried that, and it seemed to have no effect: still got the same 'unknown' error.

It might be helpful if those who have successfully downgraded to 1.1.1 outline the details of their operation. Ie: windows/mac; precise method of restoration; source of 1.1.1 firmware file etc

Cheers

8. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Go to the Hacks forum as this has been well addressed.

There seems to be a link that is named Ipod 1.1.1 that is actually for the Iphone file that is causing problems. You need to make sure that you get the software from a site where others have successfully downgraded.

9. 667-75 macrumors newbie

I didn't write the proper name for "renaming" purpose, it's just that it looks like theres a link to a "1.1" (=/ 1.1.1) firmware circulating on the forums which tends to give disappointing results (errors and whatnot), so you'd just have to make sure you have the right one.

And as for the detailed operation, as I wrote above (I'm running windows): I shift-clicked the "restore" button, opened the 1.1.1 firmware I had just downloaded (from a link you'll most easily find in the "Touch Hacks" section - 1rst or 2nd page) and waited for iTunes to get things done :)