Error when installing Xp with vmware fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by otaviopr, Dec 21, 2007.

1. otaviopr macrumors newbie

hi! i already searched a ton of sites to try to answer my question but I didn't found anything!!!

I'm trying to install windows xp with vmware fusion but when i open it, it says:
    "pxe-e53: no boot filename received

pxe-m0f:exiting intel pxe rom"

and then pop's up a windows saying:
    "a bootable devide might be a cd, floppy, hard disk, or network device, as when booting with pxe.
    to install an operating system, insert a bootable cd or floppy and restart the virtual machine"

i dont know what its happening!! I have a windows xp pro sp2 cd for install and i have an .img file of the same disk, and both aren't working!!!
    what can i do?
    i saw somewhere that this pxe is for installing from a network! but i want to install it from my cd... i have to uncheck this pxe thing? where i can do it?

please someone help me!! T_T

tnx!

[​IMG]

2. abz786 macrumors 6502

yeah man
    i hear yeah here as well
    and also wanting some help on this topic pls
    THANKS!

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Did you slipstream your own SP2 disc or did you buy one with SP2 already on it?

4. abz786 macrumors 6502

i dl the iso image from school website with legit cd key
    and then burned the image onto the cd, so when i put it into the mac it reads it, but vmware sees it but says:

"a bootable devide might be a cd, floppy, hard disk, or network device, as when booting with pxe.
    to install an operating system, insert a bootable cd or floppy and restart the virtual machine"

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

The cd has to be bootable. I'm guessing your school gave you an iso that's not compiled just right for VMware to like it. It also sounds like it's some sort of iso compiled for unattended network installs, which isn't the best for standalone computers. I'm just guessing here, though.

You can download a program from www.nliteos.com that lets you customize your Windows XP cd. It even makes a bootable cd. Might be worth looking into.