Error when registering iPhone

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
I am trying to add my iPhone 5s to my support profile, to join the list of my other apple products. But after adding my serial number, a message comes up saying that serial number is already listed with a different Apple ID and won't allow me to register it. I bought it second hand and no longer got the persons details. How can I register my iPhone? I have the phone running latest software iOS 8.3.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
My guess is you can't without the previous owner deleting it from their icloud account first. I might be wrong though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think the registration info stays with the person that first registered it with their Apple id.
Contact Apple to see if you can change that and add a used device to your registered devices.
You can still get warranty work on it with no probs.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I think the registration info stays with the person that first registered it with their Apple id.
Contact Apple to see if you can change that and add a used device to your registered devices.
You can still get warranty work on it with no probs.
I bought my 6 used on Swappa and added it to my profile. I plan on selling my 5s so I removed it from my profile.

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for your replies. I will go into the Apple Store and have a chat with someone there then. I was hoping to get Apple Care for my iPhone and watch so hopefully i can be covered against breakages etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.