Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
I get this error when I tried to update to the latest iTunes:

Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Interface\{Whole bunch of numbers}\ProxyStubClsid. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I also get the message when I try to uninstall iTunes.

I have tried to take ownership of the key and also tried to delete it but for some reason I can not touch this key.

What can I do?

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
I used the installer clean up tool, and now I cant use iTunes at all, and I still cant intsall or uninstall it. :confused:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The cleanup tool should have removed iTunes in its entirety from the system, that would be why its not working. Are you still getting the same error when trying to reinstall it?

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
As far as I can tell all it has done is stopped itunes from working. All the program files are still there but the program no longer works, and I cant uninstall it now. And I still get the same error when trying to install it.:(

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Well, there's always MSCONFIG. There's a link to the page applicable for Vista but the principle is identical. Alternatively, as suggested by this and this you could try removing the relevant folder locations in Program Files or wherever else manually before attempting to reinstall iTunes. To play it safe, junk QuickTime, the Apple Software Update and Apple Mobile Device Support components as well.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
Thanks for the help. I got pretty fed up with it and (painfully) did a system restore. Ive had bad experiences with this in the past so I didnt really want to do it again but did anyway.

The good news? iTunes is working again

The bad news? I still cant install or unistall it and I somehow lost Adblock Plus for Firefox (which I have reinstalled).

I will try the latest help pages you gave me tomorrow and update on the situation.

shawnwilliams

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Hi Jack921660
May be there is some other way for installation or uninstallation process so find it. I think only admin can use it.
Try to run program as administrator. So you will have the rights for installation process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.