Error while backing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by james-26, Feb 8, 2009.

1. james-26 macrumors newbie

I currently store all my itunes music on an external hard drive, i'm trying to back up this drive to another external hard drive but when I try to this, I get an error stating,

"You cannot copy <name of file> to the destination because its name is the same name as the name of an item on the destination, except for the case of some characters"

how do I overcome this, I just want to copy the directory as is, is there a way to get osx to ignore duplicate files?

2. james-26 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Is one of the drives formated with Mac OS Extended Case-sensitive and the other is not?

4. james-26 thread starter macrumors newbie

The external hard drive is formated as Mac OS journaled. Which I think may be case sensative. The hard drive on the mac is how it was shipped.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually "journaled" and "case-sensitive" are two different attributes that can be used with the Mac OS Extended format, either of which can be used by themselves or together.

Do a "File-->Get Info" on the drives in question and you will see the current state of each drive, as per the pic I attached that I just did on a test drive.

The unfortunate part is that the format itself, should it turn out to case-sensitive now, can only be changed by erasing and re-establishing it with the new format desired. "Normal" Leopard formatting is Mac OS Extended (Journaled)- and after Googling it just now I see plenty of examples of how a case-sensitive/non case-sensitive combo can cause problems. Hats off to lostngone!

Attached Files: