Error while updating, now in a recovery loop

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Erik787, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Erik787 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I built a new computer recently and tonight I installed Itunes. I connected my iphone 4 to the usb, performed a back up, then began the update to 4.2. An error occurred and itunes says that the phone is in recovery mode. I select restore, it does its thing, then as it gets to the very end, another error pops up (1013.) I've tried it again, turned the device off, restarted the computer, tried it several other times without any luck.

What should I do? I found the backup files, so they're there, but it won't let me select 'restore from backup' in itunes. And even if I can't get the backup on there, I need to at least get it out of this loop. I searched google for a while and found tons of 'restore loop' stuff, but none of it helped.

Many thanks to anyone who can help! :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You didnt edit your hosts file to redirect to cydias server did ya?

3. Erik787 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't. But its not/never been jailbroken. Does that make a difference?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. Erik787 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it just now, at the end it came up with 'unknown error (37)'

Will continue to try it though. Thank you for your help.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks, I'd also try it on another computer if you have one available and make sure you're connected online while this goes on and no program, antivirus or firewall is blocking any ports that itunes communicates with its servers.

7. mikelegacy, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I tried researching the error #37 and could only find articles about sn0wbreeze, but you said that you've never jailbroken your phone so that can't apply...im actually stumped here.

EDIT: I found something on the Apple support forums. People were having issues with the same thing you are, and some of them rebooted their routers because of firewall issues and some of them just unplugged the ipod/iphone and put it into a different USB slot. I'd try the USB trick first and see if it works for you...

I'm really glad I don't post on the Apple forums. Those people there are such babies...it's just basically a bunch of people yelling at Apple...