Error while updating OSX - Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by createdculture, Aug 3, 2008.

1. createdculture macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an old PowerMac G4 that I am trying to update for my girlfriend's use. It is currently running the ancient 10.2.8 and I am trying to update to 10.4 for her. While running the install DVD it will begin to install and then quit abruptly saying "Error while upgrading. Please try again."

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Any suggestions? I thought maybe the disc was a little dirty but I cleaned it off and it's still happening. Also, it is definitely a retail version of Tiger, not a system-specific edition.

Thanks!

2. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

What happens when you try and boot off the cd by holding down c when booting up?

3. createdculture thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I've been doing to try to install the software. It boots up from the optical drive and allows me to begin the upgrade process, but then it quits after a few minutes saying there was an error.

Any thoughts?

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

At what exact point does the install error out at? Have you formatted the HD with Disk Utility before trying a full install?

5. createdculture thread starter macrumors newbie

It errors out very quickly while writing the essential files.

I haven't formatted the HD because I'm trying to upgrade to 10.4 on the same HD that is current running 10.2.8. so it's already a mac bootable volume. Do you have to format to jump to 10.4 or shouldn't it just upgrade?

I'm pretty stumped with this. Thanks for the help so far.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Um, I would backup all the essential data from 10.2.8 and then format the entire HD. Then do a full install of Tiger. I would never choose the "upgrade" option; too many chances for problems, especially when jumping over an entire OS X release. Just my 2 cents

7. createdculture thread starter macrumors newbie

Nomar, Thank you very much for your help. I went ahead and wiped the HD clean and Tiger installed like a charm! Many thanks

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Are you doing an upgrade or an archive and install?