error with AirPort Card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zekez22, May 23, 2009.

1. zekez22 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20-in iMac and my airport card keeps dropping connection. The strange part is that if I run network diagnostics I am told that everything is working and after running the diagnostic everything works again. This is an intermittent problem and seems to be caused by other macs logging on to my airport base station. My iPhone does not have the same problem even though I am sitting at my desk! I am running OSX 10.5.7 but have had this problem ever since I got this mac. I find that if I restart the airport card (by turning it of and on in the toolbar) everything works for a while. Unfortunately it can drop out five-seconds after I do this so I end up restarting the airport every time I want to look at a different page online or send a different file to another computer.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It's usually interference or your router flaking out. If there's no interference, download iStumbler to take a peek at your neighborhood, assuming you don't live in a rural area. If you see a lot of networks nearby with the same channel (broadcast frequency), you may have to go into the router's configuration utility and change the channel from its automatic setting to something else. If none of these steps fix the issue, you need to test elsewhere to see if its an issue that only happens with your home network or everywhere you go, which will tell you if there's an issue with the computer itself or not.

3. zekez22 thread starter macrumors newbie

More info

We are on the outskirts of town with the nearest house over 50m away. I shall do as you sugest and take my iMac to another local network and check if the problem is still there.