Errors installing Leopard on completely erased harddrive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dernhelm, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I'm about at my wits end. I would say I have a harddisk failure, but it passes every diagnostic I can throw at the thing.

My problem is that I erased the main drive in my mac (been booting from an external hd) and I'm trying to install Leopard on this drive. The Leopard install starts, I'm able to choose the disk, and tell it to erase and install (or just install after erasing the disk externally). The installer starts, gets about 30-40 minutes in and then just plain stops because some package or other (seems to be different every time) is corrupt.

My only option is to reboot and try again. I've done it three times now and am starting to feel rather stupid.

Is there a known issue here that anyone can direct me at? I didn't see anything snarfing around the forums, but that doesn't mean I could've just plain missed it. I've just finished running tech tool pro 4 hardware tests (drive controller, etc.), surface scan, disk utilities erase and verify hoping it would tell me if there is a disk problem brewing. So far all the tests show green.

I decided to try and hit the thing with something that writes to every imaginable space on the disk, so I ran erase free space from disk utilities. I plan on trying again after that finishes.

Otherwise, I was hoping some of you might have an idea. Thanks for any input you can give.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Your install disk could be damaged. Are you letting it "verify" the disk before you install or are you skipping that step?

3. dernhelm thread starter macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I did let it verify the first two times, but not the third.

Thanks for the reply though, I should've mentioned it in the OP.