Errors setting up Bootcamp on Snow Leopard 10.6.6

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tim-tim, Feb 2, 2011.

1. tim-tim macrumors newbie

tim-tim

Hi.

I'm die-hard mac fan, already have old iMac and MacBook, not having a single problem with them.

But I moved to a new place and have to buy brand new 2010 iMac with Snow Leopard Mac OS 10.6.6 already on board.

My girlfriend is a designer, so she has to install 3dStudioMax, and the only choice to run it stable is to set up Windows via Bootcamp.

And there is where disaster starts...

When I open Bootcamp setup, it won't to download and save "windows support files" (this is a new features of 10.6 I believe).

It downloads them ok (kind of), but no metter where I try to save them to (I've tryied CD/DVD option, external drive option), it gives me "Unknown error moving Windows Support files" (or smth like that - I have russian version)

Ok. Let's try to live without "Windows support files" - was my idea so I just skip this step and insert Windows XP CD.

After restart it won't go anywhere, just black screen "Insert Bootlable Disk..."

I know there is a lot of people who successfully install XP from Mac OS 10.6.6, nevermind warnings about "only authentic Windows 7" crap.

But, unfortunately, I'm not the one of them.

So first of all, your advice what to do in this situation will be strongly appreciated as live-saving!

Secondary, I wonder if there's any chance to move to Mac OS 10.5 on this new iMac.

What if I run a 10.5 install from my MacBookPro (Intel Duo) on my iMac (core i3) with new that comes from the disk with 10.6 (which I certenly don't like)?

Could that be some kind of a conflict?

I have good SuperDuper backup if smth goes wrong, but don't want to waste whole day if this is bad idea from the start.

Please help... And THANK YOU in advance.

Tim

2. cari3n macrumors newbie

Hi, i had almost the same problem, i just couldnt burn it, it wouldnt react. Anyway, according to pple manual of boot camp you dont need to burn a driver cd, so just go on without it and when in XP(or other Windows), put in MacOs dvd inside to install drives.

I dunno if it works, i am in a middle of formating Win partition of hdd.

PS imma create new thread which partially is about this problem.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't. You should never run a version of OS X that is older than your Mac hardware.

As cari3n says, ignore the drivers bit. The drivers are on the grey OS X install disc that came with your Mac.

Have you tried booting XP directly from the Boot Loader? i.e. insert XP disc in the drive, reboot Mac and hold Alt/Option on the KB.

B

4. tim-tim thread starter macrumors newbie

tim-tim

I've tried to make a 20 Gb Windows partition in Bootcamp and then restart with "option" key pressed, when my Windows XP CD was inside.

Noting happened, the only choice was "Macintosh HD"...

Maybe I burned my Windows CD the wrong way?

Is there some specific way to burn bootlable Windows XP CD on your Mac?

I have .iso image of Windows and I've just copied the files inside .iso to my CD...

Do I get it or not? Is there a way to check if the CD is bootlable?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's the wrong way.

Download Burn OS X http://burn-osx.sf.net and use that to burn the ISO image to the disc. The feature you need is in the copy tab.

B

6. tim-tim thread starter macrumors newbie

tim-tim

I really appreciate you help, balamw.

So I make 20 Gb partition while on bootcamp.

Then use Burn OS X to CD and just boot from it (holding "alt" key)

In the setup I choose "leave current file system (FAT32)"

Then it setup windows and my iMac restarts into Mac OS.

I restart it and manually boot from new WINDOWS HD.

It shows me "Disk Error".

What I did wrong or what you suggest me to do in this situation? Thank you very very much!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like one of the usual problems with XP pre-SP2. Does you XP disc include either SP2 or SP3? If not slipstream it first.

I also would not leave it as FAT32, use a FAT32 SD Card to share data between the OSes, but IMHO FAT32 is a bag of hurt.

B