Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
Hey

Got a few Macs, but not an iPod/iPhone (yet).

Have read people say that you can't multitask with the iP-family products.

So if I get an iPod Touch, or iPhone or iPad, I can't surf the net whilst listening to music? I can't read a book on the iPad whilst listening to tracks?

Really?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just seems too illogical to be true.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
You can listen to your iTunes music and run safari at the same time.

I'm sure you'll get a response complaining they can't listen to music using Pandora while surfing.

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Currently, third party apps can't multitask. You can run the Apple apps while listening to music.

I'm sure you know this, but for the thread starters benefit, you can also listen to your iPod music while running most third party apps, it doesn't have to be just Apple apps. You just can't run third party apps simultaneously with each other.

Mr.Goodbar

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
pahrump nv
well i would recommend getting the phone or ipod because really? who needs to carry around the ipad when you can do all of the same stuff on the phone/touch

TheAshMan

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
Good question and good answers.

Perhaps we should point out the reason that Apple does this is for the stability, reliability and security of the device. "Multitasking" on any computing device demands more resources from the hardware which is no big deal on today's powerful computers, but on such a small computing device with more limited resources like the iPhone which runs on a battery that could be problematic. The more processes and threads running simultaneously the more likely the device is to perform poorly, have apps crash, and the battery will run out of power sooner. Over the years our group has tested numerous devices like Pocket PC/Windows mobile which allow you to multitask and the battery life is a joke. Simply put, restricting what can run increases the stability and performance of what IS running on a device and increases battery life. Rememb that the thing also runs wireless communications for voice and data all the time (amazing what we have in small devices these days) those are major tasks.

Apple has thus far chosen this route so that things are simpler, run better, and last longer. That being said you can still listen to your music or talk on the phone while doing other things on the phone. Say, look up a map while talking. Others like Palm Pre and Android allow unlimited multitasking which is fine and suits some people better, but I don't really care about doing so much at one time on a small device. I think it is a bit silly to be honest, I mean how much can you do on a 3" screen? It is a legitimate requirement for some to be sure, but I think you can make a pretty good case that the restriction is a feature and not a flaw.

Everyone else is copying the iPhone in Apple's wake and that complaint just doesn't hold water for me. It is an amazing device and they absolutely smoked every one else with it, even Blackberry.

Missing Copy/Paste was a huge hole in the iPhone, now THAT was a true flaw.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
I'm sure you know this, but for the thread starters benefit, you can also listen to your iPod music while running most third party apps, it doesn't have to be just Apple apps. You just can't run third party apps simultaneously with each other.

I didn't know that - much appreciated. Getting better all the time. :D

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
well i would recommend getting the phone or ipod because really? who needs to carry around the ipad when you can do all of the same stuff on the phone/touch

Think I will wait and see what an iPad is like. I nearly always carry a messenger bag as I carry a camera and book most of the time, so slipping an iPad in that would be okay. Like the idea of a bigger screen to read books on and to type into iWork. Could be perfect for me.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2007
new york
Perhaps we should point out the reason that Apple does this is for the stability, reliability and security of the device. "Multitasking" on any computing device demands more resources from the hardware which is no big deal on today's powerful computers, but on such a small computing device with more limited resources like the iPhone which runs on a battery that could be problematic. The more processes and threads running simultaneously the more likely the device is to perform poorly, have apps crash, and the battery will run out of power sooner. Over the years our group has tested numerous devices like Pocket PC/Windows mobile which allow you to multitask and the battery life is a joke. Simply put, restricting what can run increases the stability and performance of what IS running on a device and increases battery life. Rememb that the thing also runs wireless communications for voice and data all the time (amazing what we have in small devices these days) those are major tasks.

Apple has thus far chosen this route so that things are simpler, run better, and last longer. That being said you can still listen to your music or talk on the phone while doing other things on the phone. Say, look up a map while talking. Others like Palm Pre and Android allow unlimited multitasking which is fine and suits some people better, but I don't really care about doing so much at one time on a small device. I think it is a bit silly to be honest, I mean how much can you do on a 3" screen? It is a legitimate requirement for some to be sure, but I think you can make a pretty good case that the restriction is a feature and not a flaw.

Everyone else is copying the iPhone in Apple's wake and that complaint just doesn't hold water for me. It is an amazing device and they absolutely smoked every one else with it, even Blackberry.

Missing Copy/Paste was a huge hole in the iPhone, now THAT was a true flaw.

Can understand about preserving battery life. Makes complete sense.

But glad I can listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts and read ibooks/email/the net at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.