Errrr...Iphone 4 Liquid indicators

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CC424, Aug 16, 2010.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

For some reason both of my indicators are red! The phone has not been close to water at all! WTF...I just got the phone just the way I want it, now this! I wonder would they replace it for me? I'm also upset cause I got the invisible shield installed by Best Buy...So even if I get a replacement I have to drop some more cash on a screen protector!

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Nope. Not unless your very lucky.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Was water used to install any type of protector on your phone? If a Best Buy employee did it then it honestly wouldn't surprise me that your sensors were tripped. You may wish to take the matter up with them.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is what I was thinking. Too bad the OP didn't notice it right then, since if it was due to BB, they owe him a phone.

OP, as stated, you've lost your warranty. You can get an OOW replacement for $199, if you ever have issues with something.

5. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

6. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried to get a pic but can't seem to get in the crack....but it is pink! The phone works well, it's just bothering me to know that if anything goes down..I'm screwed and I didn't even get the phone wet!

7. bobab8ey macrumors member

So easy to comment that it's not even worth it...

8. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol...didn't think about that when I posted it...but that is too funny!

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Great comment! :)

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Where can you see your indicators, are they visible, or do you have to take your phone apart?

I am curious because when I use my iPhone 4 at the gym sometimes, I am sweaty and I do not want them to go off if I have not put my phone near water?

11. swoods93631 macrumors regular

Ya ROFLMAO

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I do kinda wonder about those indicators because 1) I live in Scotland and it rains ... and rains ... and rains, 2) even if I don't get water on the phone from rain, the humidity here is high since I live within a mile of the sea and 3) the humidity inside an average jean pocket must be kinda high. I thought I saw something on the BBC about false positives in the red indicators...

13. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

i've always wondered just how much humidity is needed to activate the sensors. appleinsider describes an interesting suit about this issue from april. their illustration (not for ip4 obviously):

[​IMG]

14. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Goto the apple store and demand that they look at the sensors inside the phone, if those haven't been set off then they'll give you a replacement.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves. :D

16. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

If it's pink you should be good to go on a replacement.

17. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I going to try to take it back but what should I do about the screen protector, should I take it off? Do you think BB will put another on the replacement for a cheaper cost?

18. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Peel them of and put them on wax paper, go on Zaggs website and register your product and order a replacment. Send your old ones in and you're set :)

And apply them yourself and keep napkin handy obviously.

19. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

Bring your phone to the Apple store and have a genius check it. I had the same problem on my 3GS. The genius told me that because only the external sensor was triggered, the one in the dock connector, I was eligible for a replacement.

20. gsbedi macrumors newbie

Go to the Genius bar and try and explain your story, if you're lucky, the Genius will take your word for it and replace it no problem. If the Genius refuses to do so, call Apple Support and talk to someone there. If you have a history of buying Apple products (they can look you up with your name/Apple ID) they're more lenient and understanding. I was lucky in that regard. I had my 3G replaced which had tripped the bottom dock connector sensor AND the inside submersion sensors. I thought I'd give it a go and see what Apple could do for me since I was a loyal customer. Honestly, I was surprised that they decided to swap it out. Very nice people at the Support center. You have nothing to lose, might as well try it out. If your HEADPHONE and INTERNAL liquid submersion activators are not pink, the Genius will more than likely swap it out, the bottom dock connector can easily get tripped by random stuff. When I was going through the process of getting my liquid submerged 3G swapped out, the support person was telling me that the liquid sensors only get activated under a certain amount of water... meaning you have to get a certain amount of water on that sensor for a certain amount of time... but who knows, that's probably just Apple mumbo jumbo to feed the ignorant people.

Best of luck, I thought I'd share my story so you know that you're not in a doom and gloom situation!

21. Espo macrumors 6502

There is no sensor inside the iPhone 4. So if the headphone or dock sensor turns pink... thats it.

22. gsbedi macrumors newbie

That's ridiculous! Surely there must be something to tell them how much water the phone was submerged in. That class-action lawsuit link at the top of this thread was a very interesting read... Might have more credence to it if what you are saying is true about no internal sensors!

23. Espo macrumors 6502

So i jsut got my ip4 replaced and my headphone water sensor has a sliver of pink on it. So its not half red but it looks as if someone took a red pen to it. This is ridiculous and I wont allow them to tell me its Out of Waranty.

24. teezee09 macrumors member

The previous poster was incorrect. I believe there are 3 LSIs inside the iPhone 4. Took apart my first liquid submersed iP4 this week and there is one on the board, one on a screw head, and another either on the battery or beneath the battery (I can't remember). I definitely remember seeing 3 pink indicators inside the phone though.

At least two of these sensors are easily visible after removing the backplate.

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've seen a Genius refuse to do this and refused giving the guy a new phone. It seems that they were told for a time to only check those and tell people they were screwed if they were tripped.

You got lucky.