ESATA cable won't fit into my new card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by akadmon, Feb 24, 2010.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

Just got the new Newertech 6G ESATA card from OWC and I'm having problems getting my ESATA cable fitting into it. It does not go in very far, and never latches on to the two tabs. Before I go out and buy a new cable or return the card, please take a look at the two pics and tell me what's wrong. I'm afraid to try to force the cable in harder since it doesn't seem normal that there should be so much resistance.

EDIT: Jammed it in real hard and it seems to have seated itself, but the drive is not showing on the desktop or in Disk Utility. Mac Pro recognizes the card just fine (slot 4). Will try another cable, but something feels wrong about the card. It shouldn't take this much force to plug the cable in.

Attached Files:

2. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

It was the cable. Got a new cable and everything is working great. I'm getting write speeds of about 100 MB per second through my Thermaltake Blacx, about 10x the speed I was getting via USB on it! Finally backing up is fast and convenient. :)

3. Jasonscott71 macrumors member

Jasonscott71

Nice, well done on the troubleshooting. Must be nice to have eSATA. As a MBP is my main machine, I won't get to experience that. :(

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I don't know which MBP you have, but getting eSATA in them is not impossible:

http://www.CalDigit.com/FASTA-1ex.asp

I've not tested that specific card, but I'm only linking it as an example...

Loa

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

This requires a PCI express slot, which the unibody MBPs don't have. Stupid move on Apple's part to replace it with an integrated SD card reader.

6. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Oh. Ouch!

Indeed...

Loa

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

How DARE you!!!!

Clearly, professionals need SD card slots and have NO need for eSATA !!
    :p:p

I guess His Jobsness thinks eSATA is a "big bag of hurt". :rolleyes:

8. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Except that anyone (pro and non-pro alike) can readily get him/herself a USB based SD $10 reader. Not so when it comes to eSATA.

When Jobs invents an eSATA adopter that plugs in via USB and still gives me eSATA speeds, I'll forgive him this stupid move (i.e., getting rid of PCI express). Something tells me it ain't gonna happen :p

9. Jasonscott71 macrumors member

Jasonscott71

I have the last pre-unibody MBP. Yes, I guess I could do it this way, but I've never bought an external with eSATA simply because it wasn't integrated into the design.