Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hello,
I have an issue that I'm trying to work out. I just got the newer technology max power seat 6G Pro Pcie card from OWC and Im having issues getting it to boot to drives connected to it. I can see them in Quickboot and in Startup disk. I can select them and then it will try to boot from them but always reverts back to my internal drives.
I do not have a efi graphics card installed right now so "option-booting" isn't an option.
My guess is that the drivers for the pcie card are not loading fast enough on boot for the system to pick it up as bootable there for reverting boot order back to my internal.

Has anyone run into this that can offer advice? Any help would be appreciated.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Pull the other drives out, boot off the card with the drives hosted in the card, select is as startup disk, power down replug the other drives back in? 3,1 can be pita off PCIe SSD I had utter mares with my x2. I somehow miraculously got it going on bootcamp by the 840 piggy back second x2 sata port odd power extension trick even though Apricorn said it wouldn't work. It did and I have not dared touch it since until PCIe apple blade time.

You not got a spare eFI video card? Edit but I think that's a red herring. 3,1 PCIe boot headaches - Pram reset beforehand when it's the only bootable device plugged in

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Pull the other drives out, boot off the card with the drives hosted in the card, select is as startup disk, power down replug the other drives back in? 3,1 can be pita off PCIe SSD I had utter mares with my x2. I somehow miraculously got it going on bootcamp by the 840 piggy back second x2 sata port odd power extension trick even though Apricorn said it wouldn't work. It did and I have not dared touch it since until PCIe apple blade time.

You not got a spare eFI video card? Edit but I think that's a red herring. 3,1 PCIe boot headaches - Pram reset beforehand when it's the only bootable device plugged in

I tried your suggestion. I actually plugged my old efi card in to see what was going on. It seems to have no issues with booting to the esata when no drives are in the internal bays, I can switch back and forth all I want but when I put my internals back in it prioritizes them. If I "option boot"it works fine but I Don't want to keep the old refi card in.
I may just pick up the sonnet tempo pro plus and dump the internal bays completely. Its a shame I can't come up with a workaround here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.