Esata Cards and Bluray Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ltcpro, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ltcpro macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone, i need some suggestions... I have a 2009 Mac Pro with 4 1.5TB Hard Drives and one 80 Gig solid state boot drive. I want to add a bluray burner to my mac however i dont want to buy an IDE drive. My question is can someone point me to an Esata card with 2 external ports and at least one internal port that will work with the mac pro? Also will i be able to use that internal SATA connection with a bluray drive in Snowleopard? I already have the power situation worked out for adding a bluray burner. Thanks!

2. tomscott1988 macrumors regular

tomscott1988

Use the second sata on the main board that you hooked your SSD to, there are two under the fan assembly. Means you dont have to add extra for the card. Just buy a molex converter for the power. shimples. :)

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

He's got a 2009 Mac Pro so it isn't that simple.

OP, does the eSATA card need to boot into OS X?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

What is the system's firmware revision?

I ask, as those that have B08, haven't been successful running optical disks off of eSATA at all (couldn't get it to work at all).

They had to go with USB to have a universally usable drive(boots any OS), as Windows has dropped support for FireWire.

Good question. ;)

5. ltcpro thread starter macrumors newbie

I only need the bluray drive for Snow Leopard, i dont use boot camp or any windows OS on the Mac. As for the firmware version i will have to check when i get home. I will check under the fan later to see if there is a second SATA port. I didnt know that there was two... I will only be using the ESATA card for my external storage drives.

6. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

If it helps, I have an LG 10x Blu-ray burner and a 2-port 6G eSATA PCI card both from OWC in my '09 Mac Pro, both of which work perfectly. BD-R in 2nd optical bay.