eSATA ExpressCard adapter failed install on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waywardsage, Oct 22, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I tried installing a Dynex eSATA II ExpressCard Adapter that I bought at Best Buy. I downloaded the drivers off of the website and tried to install them and got an error message:

the following failed: run preflight script for Sil3132 Mac OS X Driver. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

does anyone know what this means? Could anyone help me fix this problem?

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

3. bugout macrumors 6502a

4. CtrlAltWow macrumors newbie

5. NickM macrumors 6502

I just bought this same card from Best Buy and got the same error message when trying to install the driver from Dynex's webpage.

However, I took the disc that came with the card (one of those mini discs) and ran it in my desktop PC, took the driver off and put onto a USB jump drive and installed them onto the MacBook Pro from there. The driver install worked.

HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to show my external drive??
    Any suggestions??

Is it bad to insert/remove expresscards when the computer is powered on??

ARRGGHH!! Why won't it see my external drive??!!:mad:

EDIT - it's working now.... maybe it just needed a reboot... ?

6. survoneanteak macrumors newbie

i am having the same issue..

i have downloaded the new driver but it seems every time i connect my esata express card it freezes my laptop

7. lostime macrumors regular

topic is a little old but are you trying to hotswap the card or cable? Esata doesn't really like that, it likes to be rebooted any time something is connected or disconnected.

8. cal81985 macrumors newbie

Potential Fix For Driver Issue

Hi all,

I know this thread is extremely old, but I came across this problem a while back and fixed it for a short time. All I did was download the driver off of the website (as shown earlier in this thread), went into the package by right clicking and selecting "Show Package Contents", and then copied the .kext file (I don't remember the exact folder, but trust me, it's in there) to /Library/Extensions. It showed up after a reboot. Sometimes, my MacBook Pro would kernel panic if it was in the Expresscard slot during a normal boot, so I wound up having to connect it after Mac OS was up and running. I would also get random freezes within Mac OS even after the driver was working.

Needless to say, I wound up returning the card and have been looking for one without the buggy Silicon Image chipset that plagues most of the eSata Expresscards. Supposedly, they have fixed this bug in newer hardware releases, so if you are looking for purchase one, you'd be better off buying new rather than a used one off an auction site or Craigslist, as this may have the older firmware.

For what it's worth, I recently purchased a Siig SC-SAEE22-S1 eSata expresscard and it's been working great. It has the newer version of the Silicon Image chipset and a driver made especially for Snow Leopard is available as a download on their support site. Look into that model if you need to purchase one of these cards for your MacBook Pro.

-Chris

9. toke lahti macrumors 68000

What's the model number of that new version?

10. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Does it support booting from eSata hdd?