eSATA ExpressCard with TRIM and multiplier?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cube, Aug 14, 2014.

1. cube macrumors G5

I have the Sonnet Tempo Pro ExpressCard (3G). It supports port multiplier, but I think it does not support TRIM because I can find nothing about it.

The Sonnet 6G is AHCI, so I think TRIM can be enabled, but it doesn't support port multiplier on OSX, so it is out.

The FirmTek SeriTek 6G supports port multiplier, but I find nothing about TRIM

So nothing then?

2. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Looking at SATA information in the system profiler, nothing is shown for the SSD about Media Type, TRIM, NCQ with the Sonnet Pro 3G, which uses its own driver.

Maybe the Sonnet Pro 6G supports port multiplier under Mavericks given that it uses Apple's AHCI driver but it is not advertised?

3. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

All modern SSD drives support internal TRIM called Garbage Collection. It's not as extensive as TRIM because the SSD firmware is not aware of what's being used and what isn't like file system does. However under normal use, it is enough to keep a drive healthy.

If you plan on using the drive for extensive IO, such as a scratch drive or something then it could be an issue (over the long run), but if it's a drive/array where you will not be deleting data on a constant basis, I think you'll be fine without explicit TRIM support.

4. cube thread starter macrumors G5

GC serves a similar purpose, but it is not TRIM.

The drive will see constant overwriting, it is not just a file repository.

5. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

How much space are you looking for then. 1TB SSD's are down around $500. If that's enough space, then no worries about additional hardware (and offsets the extra cost of controllers.).

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I don't mind getting a better eSATA ExpressCard, as the ones I have are not so fast.

I want to use my SSD the proper way.