eSATA & FW800 > (better then) USB3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PracticalMac, Jan 9, 2010.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Until there is sufficient mass and variety of USB3 products, eSATA and FW800 will be the better products.

eSATA in particular will likely dominate External HDD in the long run, because it is simpler and (much) cheaper.

Sure there a lot of excitement over USB3, but history tells us that does not mean it will be a hit.

And as it is, Intel may drop USB3 and go with its even faster and cheaper "Light Peak", if you believe rumors from Intel.

It is much to early to see what will happen. Mid 2010 may be good time to really know.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

One thing USB3 has going for it that eSata and FW### do not is plug compatibility. There's no physical difference between USB3 ports and USB2 ports, something that's not the case for the other two. Backwards compatibility in the peripheral world is very important.

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Exactly. This is why USB3 will be an instant hit.

Later on, LightPeak may catch up. In technological terms, LightPeak is far superior. However, the superior product does not always win. Think of Betamax vs. VHS. (I don't remember it, too young) I have been told that Betamax was superior but VHS won. Later on, the superior technology did win (Blu-Ray), but this isn't always the case.

I seriously hope LightPeak takes over, but I wouldn't bet on it.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You are incorrect sir.

ALL the USB3 connectors are different.

There is visible physical difference with USB3 B and USB3 mini connectors.

USB3 A will fit in USB2 A, but it has added wiring.

IOW, USB3 is back compatible to USB2, just like FW800 is back compatible to FW400.

This posting will explain:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9063252

Edit:
    Yes, you can plug USB2 cables between USB3 hosts and devices, but they will only connect at USB2 speeds (unless they use Fiber Optic, in that case it will not work).

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

better than.
    better than.
    better than.
    better than.
    better than.

than |ðan; ðən|
    conjunction & preposition
    1 introducing the second element in a comparison : [as prep. ] he was much smaller than his son | [as conj. ] Jack doesn't know any more than I do.
    2 used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast : [as prep. ] he claims not to own anything other than his home | [as conj. ] they observe rather than act.
    3 [ conj. ] used in expressions indicating one thing happening immediately after another : scarcely was the work completed than it was abandoned.

then |ðen|
    adverb
    1 at that time; at the time in question : I was living in Cairo then | [after prep. ] Phoebe by then was exhausted | [as adj. ] a hotel where the then prime minister, Margaret Thatcher, was staying.
    2 after that; next; afterward : she won the first and then the second game.
    • also; in addition : I'm paid a generous salary, and then there's the money I've made at the races.
    3 in that case; therefore : if you do what I tell you, then there's nothing to worry about | well, that's okay then.
    • used at the end of a sentence to emphasize an inference being drawn : so you're still here, then.
    • used to finish off a conversation : see you in an hour, then.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So? If you connect a FW400 device to a FW800 device not only do you need a physically different cable (100% of the time), it also will only connect at FW400 speed. At least with USB you don't need to buy a different cable unless it's for a FO connector.

Edit: I'd also posit that for a great many USB# devices connection speed doesn't even matter that much. How much bandwidth do you need to send a word document to a printer? Contrast that with the need for speed with FW devices and the difference between FW400/FW800 becomes much more of a problem than the difference between USB2/USB3.

7. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

while we wait for light peak, i want to see FW3200

8. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

In other words, "lrn2grammar." :D

And yes I agree, I want to see FW3200 ports on Macs. Soon!