eSata HD not appearing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bloogersnigen, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I have a Mac Pro (all four internal slots are filled with a software RAID 1+0 array of 4X1 TB HD's for my main volume) with the Newer Tech eSata extension. Connected to the eSata ports, I have OWC mercury Elite Pro enclosure (2 eSata ports and 2 drive bays). I have two HD's in those bays.

The connection has been sporadic (sometimes one drive appears, sometimes the other, rarely both, rarely none). A few days ago, neither would appear even after rebooting multiple times.

This comes at a crucial time (I'm changing the main volume from a 1+0 to a 0+1, which I should have done initially) and I need those drives working.

I took both drives and wiped them (internally on an older computer) and they worked fine. Now, not only does it not mount (in the eSata enclosure), but Disc Utility won't even recognize anything is connected. When I boot, the computer says something like, "the disk you inserted could not be read by Mac OS X" with and option to initialize, ignore, or eject. I've tried all three options, nothing happens.

I year ago, the enclosure was acting up and I called OWC, they said it was a faulty power brick, as evident by an audibly buzzing sound. The brick is not buzzing now, but could it be a similar problem?

Please help me fix this.

Ben

2. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

Actually, I made a mistake, it is currently a RAID 0+1 and I am changing it to a RAID 1+0

Ben

3. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

new update -
    I shut down the computer, unplugged everything, did a rain dance and sprinkled magic fairy dust over the enclosure (I'm getting desperate here) and it kinda worked. One of the drives showed up. This drive is different than the other drive that was working last. Making me think that during my unplugging and replugging I changed cords and it is a faulty cord.

Do I simply need to replace the cord or am I being unrealistically optimistic.

Ben

4. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

So I figured out what was going on. I tested every possible combination of drive, cord and port and found one of the two Newer Tech ports was not working. I'll call them tomorrow.