Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I want to turn my old TiBook into a file server for my LAN. Looking for a PCMCIA eSATA card. I would like to hook up at least 4 drives, but all the cards I see have only 2 ports. I've heard of port multipliers, how do those work, and do they work with all controller cards & drives? What is the difference between eSATA and SATA? Are all eSATA PCMCIA cards compatible with Mac OS X? Will I need to install a driver or will they work out of the box? Any recommendations on a card to buy, and a place to buy it from?

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I want to turn my old TiBook into a file server for my LAN. Looking for a PCMCIA eSATA card. I would like to hook up at least 4 drives, but all the cards I see have only 2 ports. I've heard of port multipliers, how do those work, and do they work with all controller cards & drives? What is the difference between eSATA and SATA? Are all eSATA PCMCIA cards compatible with Mac OS X? Will I need to install a driver or will they work out of the box? Any recommendations on a card to buy, and a place to buy it from?

Thanks!

Yes, (*), No, The connector, No, Yes, No, Yes and Yes, in that order.

* Port Multiplier (where you can control more than one drive through one SATA cable) must be supported by both the card and the enclosure.

Sonnet has a port multiplier kit, but they don't support PCMCIA sockets

Firmtek has announced Port Multiplier products shipping next month, but again no PCMCIA support. (info is not up on their website yet)

I think you are out of luck on 4 external SATAs on that TiBook. THe Firmtek 2-port card is here

eSATA is an improved design of connector (I-type) and cable, that allows for double the length of cable compared to the internal SATA standard (L-type).

Any eSATA product you will have to verify if it is compatible with OSX and the machine.

For where to buy -- you want to talk to a dealer with experience with Macs and the eSATA product lines.
Ask your local Apple dealers what their experience is.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Thanks for the info!

I think what I'll end up doing is getting a Graphite G4 and two Sonnet Tempo PCI cards to host my 4 drives. That way I won't have to get an external drive enclosure or be limited to 2 drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.