eSATA slower than FW 800?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonematt, May 3, 2009.

1. iphonematt Guest

Yesterday I got a WD My Book Stufio 1TB Drive and a Rosewill RC-605 eSATA card to use with my MacBook Pro. At first I hooked up the drive over eSATA and used Xbench to run some benchmarks and got a score (hard drive test only) of 42.02. Then I connected the drive over FW 800 and completed the same test got a score of 60.34. Why would FW 800 be faster? I thought eSATA is a faster connection than FW 800. Thanks!
    Below I will post a picture with the side by side results (look at top of each window for connection type).

Attached Files:

2. SimD macrumors regular

A lot of cheaper ExpressCards don't use the connections full bandwidth potential. Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions on which one is best, but I do know at work we had the same issues.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Looking at those scores, most of them are the same or better on the esata, apart from small block size uncached read, which seems to be what's hurting the score so much. Don't know why it should be so bad though.

4. steffi macrumors 6502a

Can anybody who got the BC338 cards also post their numbers compared to FW800 too?