eSATA to SD card reader

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacUsedForFilm, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MacUsedForFilm macrumors newbie

Hi all

This is my first time on the forum, and I hope that I have posted this in the right area but please forgive me if I haven't.

I own a MacBook Pro (mid 2009) and I have just started my own video production company. I have got myself a LiCle external hard drive for storing my work on and I notice that it supports eSATA. After some reading I now know that it has a much faster data rate than USB or FireWire so I am keen to see if I can use it.

I have come across this product: http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0810154013661
    Can anyone tell me if this or something similar will do the job?

Cheers,

Tom

2. Heavertron macrumors regular

OWC (Macsales dot com) sell an Esata card that installs flush. I have it and it's working well. Worth checking that you need an Esata card. My external drive maxes out at about 90 mbps so has very little difference between Esata and firewire as the drive is the bottlekneck, not the interface.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

4. Heavertron macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm not saying it's the best. It always gets pulled out when you unplug the esata cable, but I only needed one port, and flush fitting is important to me.

Still need Fw800 to power the external drive, so if I were to do it all again, I would stick to FW800 unless I had a raid enclosure that needed the extra throughput of eSata.