Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Anyone done this?

Im considering it. One other question that I'll also ask OWC is, does it void your warranty?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Anyone done this?

Im considering it. One other question that I'll also ask OWC is, does it void your warranty?
From the iMac User's Guide:
WARNING: Do not attempt to open your iMac, except to install memory. If your iMac needs service, see “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 57 for information about how to contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Your iMac doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Anyone done this?

Um, they cut a *hole* in the bottom of the iMac. I'm pretty sure that's going to FUBAR any warranty coverage...

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Like the others I agree this will invalidate your Apple warranty. However OWC is a reputable company and they do offer warranties on their products. I would recommend contacting them and asking your question point blank. If you like what you hear ask if they have written documentation that substantiates any claims.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
pretty cool. found this...

OWC will assist/fulfill the iMac factory warranty as well parts and labor for all OWC installed enhancements. The warranty term start date is based on the serial number of your iMac and the Apple recorded date of sale for the machine upgraded.

Standard Fulfillment through term of original 1 year Factory Warranty (up to 1 Year) - no charge
Three Year Extended (Adds 2 Years to standard - maximum of 3 years) (Add $169)

so they basically take over your warranty. and offer you extended warranty for the same cost as AppleCare.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so they basically take over your warranty. and offer you extended warranty for the same cost as AppleCare.
I wouldn't count on that. It sounds like OWC is saying they'll basically cover the parts you buy from them with the same coverage that Apple provides on the rest of your iMac. It doesn't mean that if you need a logic board replaced and Apple won't do it under warranty because you voided it, that OWC will pay for Apple to replace your logic board. Instead, it sounds like since you void your Apple warranty, OWC will do any repair work on your Mac, rather than Apple doing it.
Nothing being performed should void your warranty entirely. However, OWC cannot guarantee the actions of the original manufacturer.
Should an issue arise during the coverage period that requires the iMac to be sent in to OWC for service, the customer is responsible for any and all shipping related fees of their iMac to OWC.
It also appears that OWC has the same restriction as Apple:
All warranties are void if the upgraded iMac is opened by anyone other than an OWC or Apple Certified Technician. OWC is not responsible for any components removed or rendered inoperable by an Apple Certified Technician.

Last edited:

Detosx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Am I right in saying that if you are prepared to cut the ESATA cable and solder it back together you are able to squeeze that cable through without cutting the case? Also, I don't realistically have the option of sending my iMac to the US.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
From the iMac User's Guide:
Quote:
WARNING: Do not attempt to open your iMac, except to install memory. If your iMac needs service, see “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 57 for information about how to contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Your iMac doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

OWC aren't "users." They're Apple Certified. So if they're doing other things that Apple Certified Technicians are allowed to do without voiding your warranty (hard drive replacements, repairs, etc), it won't void your warranty.

Of course, if OWC replaces things for you, Apple isn't going to warranty those parts, because you didn't buy them from Apple.

An eSATA install & case mod, on the other hand, is not something Apple Certified technicians are ordinarily allowed to do. So that's almost definitely going to technically void your warranty. You might run into a super-nice/awesome Apple Technician who'll choose to overlook it as long as it's done properly (which is what OWC would do), but it's definitely grounds to not honor your AppleCare, for sure.

Basically, Apple considers the warranty valid on the machines they sell, and the options they sell them with, not on "anything that this machine could possibly be made to do." Which makes sense, frankly. If you were a cook, and you guaranteed your food wouldn't make your customers sick, you wouldn't extend that guarantee to other things the customers put on/in your food.

In simple terms: the eSATA thing specifically means you're taking a huge warranty risk by doing this. OWC's work isn't shoddy, but don't count on anyone else footing the bill if something goes wrong in the future, even if it's totally unrelated to the eSATA install. Personally, I simply wouldn't do it unless my machine was already out of warranty, or I felt comfortable doing any future repairs myself.

Last edited:

Ethernaught

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
Don't really understand why people are uptight about "voiding" their warranty. Plugging a cable into a sata port on the logic board then mounting the other end to the case is not rocket science. Did this upgrade myself less than a week ago for less than $6.00, even posted on it https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095176/ .

I realized that if I F'd up the iMac I would have had to pay for any repairs. Having replaced hard drives in pc's and adding an occasional PCI card, this was not any harder.

Would be more worried about shipping my iMac to someone for this simple upgrade than the actual act of opening it up.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Don't really understand why people are uptight about "voiding" their warranty. Plugging a cable into a sata port on the logic board then mounting the other end to the case is not rocket science. Did this upgrade myself less than a week ago for less than $6.00, even posted on it https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095176/ .

I realized that if I F'd up the iMac I would have had to pay for any repairs. Having replaced hard drives in pc's and adding an occasional PCI card, this was not any harder.

Would be more worried about shipping my iMac to someone for this simple upgrade than the actual act of opening it up.

This is a great post. People need to stop being so scared of opening up their iMacs. They are not hard to work on.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
This is a great post. People need to stop being so scared of opening up their iMacs. They are not hard to work on.

I agree so long as it's done with the understanding they can break a cable or cause other damage while inside. Proceed with patience and care and it will be fine

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.