Escape button: force quit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adriian, Aug 2, 2010.

1. adriian macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether or not if there's a way to change the escape button in an open window (red one) to force quit? I'm not really a fan of the whole escape button not entirely quitting your apps, it's still running (if that makes sense).

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nope, unless you rewrite that part of the OS.

Mac OS X is document based, thus this behaviour. As Mac OS X also is quite intelligent about RAM and its proper use, an application, which is still running, but has currently no open document (or window), takes up not that much RAM.

You can also use CMD+Q to quit applications.

Btw, the red knob (left part of the traffic lights) is there to "close windows", not "escape" from them.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. adriian thread starter macrumors newbie

You sure? I ran MS Word and in terminal it said its real memory was 142.5mb then when I clicked "X" it went down to 138mb.
    How does that prove your theory? I'm interested to know..

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The red button in the upper left corner of a window is not the "escape" button, which is on the upper left corner of your keyboard. The red button is the "Close" button. With an app that operates with a single window, such as System Preferences or Dictionary or Disk Utility, closing the window also quits the app. With apps that can have multiple windows open (or none at all), such as Safari, Word, Mail, etc., closing the window does not quit the app.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/switcher/2/

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Indeed. You don't need a Safari window open to still use Safari, as it may be downloading something in the background. You don't need a Mail window open to still use Mail, as it is constantly checking for incoming messages.

If an application can function without an open window or can spawn multiple windows, then it can run without being "open".

Again, for instance, you don't need an open Text Edit window to create a new Text Edit document! You simply go to File>New. That operation does not require a window, simply a menu function, and thus will remain "running" while not "open".

Imagine if you had to start Text Edit all over again just because you saved and closed that last window. I hated juggling stuff like that in Windows. It's not necessary. I remember having to keep in my mind to leave at least one Word document open so I wouldn't have to start the program all over again to open another document, hahahaha. Oh primitive Microsoft. You don't even have virtual desktops yet XD

Finally: iPhoto is not capable of having more than one window open at any time. iPhoto is reliant on a single window. Thus, closing that window quits the application, as no functions can be performed without that window open :D

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X will purge the RAM MS Office currently uses, despite not having an open document, when it needs it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20010613140025184

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

That's true, also. So many Windows users are scarred for life, like abused animals that are later adopted by a loving family. Come come, Ruffy, Mac OS won't hurt you like Windows. Mac OS X has far better memory management and thus you needn't worry about such things. Even disk defragmenting is done on-the-fly. So let these things slip out of your conscience and enjoy the bliss that is freedom from chores!

Also; just hit Command+Q. It will quit the foremost application. No need to worry about anything else.

You should really look into Apple keyboard commands. They should mostly be familiar, as Microsoft stole many of them. Command+C=Copy, Command+V=Paste... any of this sound vaguely familiar? XD