Escape from Monkey Island on 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Grayfox, May 20, 2008.

1. Grayfox macrumors member

Hey

A friend of mine have me Escape from Monkey Island and he said it was for a mac, only thing is is the fact that it came out in 2001 i think, before leopard came out, so i was wondering will it still work and will it be at least playable?
    Is there something i need to download to make it work?

If anyone could help that'd be great :)

Thanks.

2. joe8232 macrumors regular

Not too sure to be honest. What you could do is try the demo : http://escape-from-monkey-island.en.softonic.com/mac and see if that works [using the logic that if that works then the game should work too]. Hope that helps and that it does indeed work as it is an fantastic game.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Try this:
    http://www.scummvm.org/

(I want to play Grim Fandango--I hope that their "Residual" project moves along.)

4. collinmac macrumors member

scummvm doesnt work for escape from monkey island. Just the first 3.

5. JoshLV macrumors regular

Awesome game. I don't think that it will work for you, though.

6. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

The demo didn't work, got a message saying "You can't open the application "Escape from Monkey Island" because the Classic environment is no longer supported."

So i guess they removed classic from leopard, Is there a way to play it at all?

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

8. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Hey

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah that program looks useful, but i don't have the OS9 disks, which i think you need unless i read it wrong.
    Just wondering, if i was to get the windows verison of the game, would that run on XP or Vista on my mac? I haven't really felt the need to put those on my mac but i think monkey island is a good reason :D

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Your Mac with Boot Camp simply IS a PC--there are no other issues. So if the game is compatible with the version of Windows you install, then you are set.

VMWare (my own choice) or Parallels are not as certain. Older or non-3D games might be OK... and even SOME 3D games, but it's not something you can count on. Most 3D games need Boot Camp.

10. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, i might try it in the 2.0 beta of VMware since it has DirectX support, and even though it's still a beta, Escape from Monkey Island isn't the most richest of 3D games, so let's hope it works. :)

11. 7031 macrumors 6502

Well, only the characters are rendered in 3D, the rest is just done in 2D.