Escape key dinging, requires pressing command key to reset?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jakob247, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jakob247 macrumors newbie

I am new to my unibody Macbook. I bought it as an open box item at Best Buy. I was desperate for a new computer and I had and still have little cash. Therefore, I am hoping someone has an easy fix for my odd issue. It seemed to be fine for two or three weeks and making my life so much more fun, now it works but is annoying.

Now that I can't return the machine, it is making the "bonk" noise in succession as if I am repeatedly pushing the escape key with no window open. Other times it will not let me click the mouse when this happens and if I press the apple key it seems to be fine, almost as if it resets an works like there is no problem. I can't find any pattern to when this happens it seems completely at random.

There is no odd esoteric software on my computer and I haven't added any weird downloads on it either. I just have been importing music and photos so far. I haven't had it long enough to get it too screwed up.

I did reinstall Leopard trying to clean out anything that may have been causing this. It didn't help. I downloaded a patch from apple to fix an issue early unibody models had with the track pad. This didn't help anything either. I am almost wondering if there is a glitch in my escape key. I don't have apple care, at least I don't think I do, as I didn't pay for any extra warranty.

I am looking forward to any ideas you might have to help me out.
    jakob

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Even without Applecare, you are OK, because every Mac comes with a one-year warranty from Apple. Try putting in your serial number here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Since this is a unibody, the oldest it could be is 4 months. Try calling Apple support with a number from the following link, and explain the situation. They will definitely give you a better experience than Best Buy will.

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/