Escape Velocity 4?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ImperialForces, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ImperialForces macrumors member

The fourth installment of the Escape Velocity series. Do you think Ambrosia Software will make it? I've been waiting for too long!!!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If someone can be found who has the resources, ideas, time and talent, yes. If not, no. There've been numerous discussions about a possible EV4 at Ambrosia's own forums and so far they've gone nowhere.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Err... I think Ambrosia is mostly doing utilities and ports nowadays.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

EV4 is a running joke on Ambrosia's forums/irc.

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

Amborisa knows it'd be a huge hit. Only thing is it would have to be 3D, multiplayer.

I would love to see the day that EV4 comes out. But then again, they already have vendetta online, EVE, etc.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Even the Spore space stage it still pretty EV-ish.

7. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

With games like EVE (which I almost thought WAS EV4) I'm not sure this is going to pan out. Wouldn't mind them trying though, I miss EV...and maybe it would be cool to have something like that (ie not as time consuming or repeat billing as online multiplayer) out again.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Check out the ASW forums and you'll realize it most likely isn't gonna happen. Someone could propose an EV4 after showing evidence of what they had worked on, but with the (extremely few) amount of TC's for EVN, it's even less likely we'll see an EV4.

I've played the entire EV series and absolutely loved it. It'd be a shame not to see an EV4. At least we're supposed to get an EVN 1.1 pretty soon, which will make EVN run native in Intel Macs, and hopefully fix the "beam bug" all of us EVN fanatics know and love (hate). ;)

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I can confirm that the 'auto-machine gunning' of beam weaponry has been fixed. :) And the Intel-native version starts up far more quickly and smoothly than the PPC version ever did.

10. ImperialForces thread starter macrumors member

I don't get it. Escape Velocity was their best game. Why wouldn't they go for another one when they are porting games like Aquaria and continuing to develop games like Multiwinia? :(

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

They didn't port Aquaria, that's being done by the guy who made the game for Windows in the first place. And IIRC they're not developing Multiwinia either. They publish those games.

As for why they haven't made an EV4 already, it's not too complicated. The man who trademarked Escape Velocity (Matt Burch) would have to release that in order for someone else to make a new one, and he has no interest in doing so. Also, it would seem no one has come to Ambrosia with a good set of ideas, the skill necessary to develop a new game, and has the time to do so.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I sense an active member of the ASW forums here!
    Well, I believe you're one of the official testers, so you would know. ;)

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Indeed I am, under the same name as here.

It'll be nice to have once it's released, especially for those with x3100-equipped Macs. The guy who's working on it is very, very good at what he does.

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Multiwinia is from the great and amazing Introversion. I just love that Ambrosia ports their games :D.

15. ImperialForces thread starter macrumors member

I sincerely hope that they can amass enough funds to make an EV 4. That was such a good game... it's a shame that they aren't planning on a new one.

Good times man. Good times. :apple:

16. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The issue isn't funds. It's that no one wants to do it, unfortunately. It would be a stunning success were Ambrosia to publish an EV4. The problem it finding someone to get it to that point.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

As Beric said, funds aren't the problem, ideas good enough to fund are. ;)

18. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Omg, yes! Intel EVN!

Thank Christ for that, I really felt the slowdown when running it under Rosetta.

Also; please port Ares to Mac OS X ;)