iPhone XS eSIM roaming to countries that don't support eSIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjinsjca, Dec 9, 2018.

1. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

Some very helpful AT&T service techs have gotten all the ducks in a row to transfer my AT&T account from physical SIM to eSIM. This will allow me to use cheaper local SIMs when I travel (if I want to).

I'm on the road at the moment and will be pulling the trigger on that after my current travels are complete. But this raises a question: with only 16 or so countries "supporting" eSIM at this time, what happens when I travel to a country that doesn't "support" eSIM?

I guess I'm asking what "support" of eSIM really means. It's one thing for a country to allow sale and provisioning of eSIM-equipped phones within its borders, but will a phone that's duly provisioned in a supporting country still work when it is carried into a non-supporting country?

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I have the same question actually. We get free roaming across EU at present. My EE sim has been converted to eSim but I’m not sure if the roaming support will be available if a country does support eSim.

OP - you can just put a local sim in and the device should work.

3. imlynxy macrumors 65816

It is should be fine, since operators see eSIM as a regular SIM, but anyway I also want some confirmations.

4. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

as far as the network is concerned , they see a "SIM" irrespective of what type it is.
    IT will work fine.

5. imlynxy, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Thanks a lot, going tiwards Mexico now. Will post the report here.
    Just in case took blank Att SIM

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

When you are traveling, other countries networks can't tell the difference between you being on an At&t sim or At&t esim, will not effect roaming at all. I went to Mexico last month and have been on eSim since they originally launched, everything worked fine.