ESPN now AirPlay compatible!!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by k12g3, Oct 4, 2012.

1. k12g3 macrumors member

ESPN has updated its WatchESPN App so that ALL ESPN CHANNELS are now fully AirPlay enabled.

This should help many of us cut the cord!
    I know that the App requires a cable subscription, but just pay one of your friends or family members like $20 to let you use their password. That's what I did with HBOgo and it has changed my life!

Anyone else as excited as me?

2. sirgromit macrumors member

Wahoo!!! It's about time!

3. mic j macrumors 68030

Does this mean I can finally cut the cord? We have an iPad and OTA antenna to the tv? :D

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Not a big sports fan but wanted to test the AirPlay Feature and it works well. Nice to have a 30 second rewind. Also, great that it does not use "AirPlay Mirror" but simply AirPlay.

5. k12g3 thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear! I am excited to try it out when I get home, and also be able to watch ESPN on TV's in my house that do not have a cable box!

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Now we need the same for all of the others like HBOGo, MaxGo etc....

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Be nice if they would allow DirecTV. I pay for ESPN just the same as I did with Time Warner, I just get it through a different pipe now. Irritating to say the least. I can have ESPN3 or NFL Game Plan but not both. Boo.

8. techno99 macrumors newbie

It's nice but the iPad screen saver keeps kicking in when I use it...

9. k12g3 thread starter macrumors member

You can set it so it disables the screen lock when it's plugged in, I stream movies from my iPhone to :apple:TV this way.

10. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

$20 a month? Or just $20 to give you their password? If is just $20 just to give you their password/account, it is a good deal. But if you pay them $20 for HBOgo not bad since HBO already cost them $16 bucks. But $20 a month for ESPN a little bit too much. Most internet provider offer free ESPN 3. So if you have internet most likely you have ESPN 3. Unless your friend/family and you... are interested in ESPN U. So that is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN 3 and ESPN U. I think paying $20 is worth it.

11. BennyK macrumors 6502

Mnf

FYI Monday Night Football is blocked from the the iPhone, iPad, and ipods. Just get the message that it is not allowed to carry that show on mobile devices.

12. techno99 macrumors newbie

Sounds good. Could you explain how this is done?

13. k12g3 thread starter macrumors member

I meant just throw your friend a $20 one time "thank you" to let you use their password, if theyre a good enough friend they will let you use it for free. Not $20 a month, that wouldnt be worth it.

----------

Turn Auto-lock to "never" in Settings. If you are jailbroken, there are tweaks to make it automatically stay on when plugged in. One of which is called "screen dimmer"

I am not jailbroken but it works fine for me.

14. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

This is great news. Now if only my cable provider would support WatchESPN, everything would be great.

15. XandeR803 macrumors member

That's strange...I watched MNF last night on my TV via airplay from my iPhone and it seemed to work just fine.

16. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

Im in Miami and i couldnt get MNF to work on my iphone saying it was blocked out but had no problem with the ipad. Strange