ESPN on ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tawcat, Nov 29, 2013.

1. tawcat macrumors regular

Supposedly we should be able to setup and watch ESPN. I've gone through the process, selected ATT U-Verse, went to the es.pn/apple web site, entered the activation code, and got the successful message.

Turned on the TV went to ATV, selected Watch ESPN, and selected a college game live on ESPN, goes through the loading process, and gives me a message, that this channel is not in our viewing package.

Not sure I understand, we don't have ATT U-Verse TV, only have ATT U-Verse internet, might be the reason.

Any one know?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Probably. You need to have ESPN on your TV package in order to use the Watch ESPN app. In other words, you need to already be an ESPN (TV) subscriber.

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

you need to be subscribed. only really useful for secondary TVs, where you may not to or can't put another cable/sat box

4. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You should be able to watch ESPN3 without the TV subscription as access to that is included with U-Verse internet, but you cannot watch any of their other channels.

6. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

So, we are getting ESPN3, however, it's barely watchable. At times its clear and near perfect, but then we get a very fuzzy picture, lots of freeze ups etc.

ATV is linked to our Air Express network, not sure if there are other setting adjustments I can make.

Any ideas?

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

Try cat 5 cable if you have lots of people living around you

8. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Cat 5 cable?

9. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

are you a subscriber?

10. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Subscriber to what? We have ATT U-Verse internet.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Watch ESPN has so much promise yet is such a waste for relying on TV subscriptions.

I'm about to cut the cord because I'm sick of dealing with these mistaken $18 hardware charges, the last straw in paying above $50 for pretty much broadcast and cable programming I might watch every now and then. But yes, I would like ESPN access from time to time. But I'm not going to deal with $40/month bare minimum to get it.

The Apple TV remains in the "hobby" realm as does the Roku and anything similar because the content providers are living in 1999. Whatever the cost is for the gamut of ESPN channels, I think most of us would pay to have access to that app on our iOS devices and Apple TVs. I would pay probably $8 or $10 just for ESPN and ESPN2.

But no, we've got to go through the satellite and cable providers. I think most of us have wanted a la carte forever, but we keep on getting blocked. Some people resort to piracy to get the content even though there are plenty of people willing to pay. It's just like the late 1990s Napster days before the iTunes store. Hopefully history will repeat itself and we'll get this stuff via the Internet soon. Otherwise, I'll just deal with Hulu Plus and Netflix.

12. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

ESPN via cable TV or satellite provider.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

if you're single and only watch sports then a la carte might be for you. but multiple people in a household you will end up paying the same or close to what cable tv costs if not more since you will have to pay for multiple credit card processing fees and billing systems and not just your cable provider

----------

yep

i have 40 wifi networks around me. all my streaming is via cat 5. when i was on wifi i had nothing but problems since everyone is using the same few frequencies

14. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
    Cat 5 cable?
    yep

i have 40 wifi networks around me. all my streaming is via cat 5. when i was on wifi i had nothing but problems since everyone is using the same few frequencies

So, can someone explain how to do this Cat 5 cable thing? Thanks

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

go buy cat5 cable
    plug into your apple tv
    plug other end into your router
    go into apple tv settings and make sure it says ethernet instead of wifi

16. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Is your internet provider a part of the ESPN program?

17. SBA macrumors member

Cat 5 or Cat 6 just refers to Ethernet cable. You know what that is right? Generally speaking, it's a better idea to hard-wire (Ethernet) your entertainment devices into your home network rather than rely on wifi, because as others have sort of mentioned, having a lot of wifi networks around can lead to interference and slow things down (bad for streaming video).

As far as just having uverse internet, you do need a tv package to get access to WatchESPN - these things don't typically work with just an internet subscription. As someone else mentioned, most of the content providers are stuck in the past and hanging on desperately to their old subscription models.

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Let me google that for you....