Espresso....

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by decksnap, Apr 7, 2009.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

As much as I hate giving money to Macheist, I am really in love with MacRabbit's CSSEdit and am thinking about buying the bundle for Espresso. Has anybody tried it?

2. dantherevelator macrumors regular

It might be just because I'm so used to Coda, but I found Espresso to be a little kludgy. On the other hand, I never really warmed up to CSSEdit, either-- I never got past the feeling that it was a bit too much in my way.

It's probably just a personal preference thing, but if you haven't tried Coda, download it and check it out.

3. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

While I haven't tried CSSEdit and haven't used much of Espresso yet, I read that it doesn't have a lot of the features that CSSEdit has. I know it's missing the visual editor and "X-Ray" features, and some others. Still a great app though. And it might get those features eventually.

4. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

But wouldn't I be using it alongside CSSEdit anyway?

5. Got Josh? macrumors member

I use them both, coda is nice but the x-ray inspector of CSS is such a nice feature i wouldn't change it for anything in the world, it might because i jus recently started with CSS but it's just awesome for me. I use CSSEdit for CSS and CODA as my HTML Editor. But i suggest you try Coda as well it's really great.

About esspresso i don't have a clue. I'd also like for someone to comment on it.

6. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Oh yeah. I feel stupid.

7. torndownunit macrumors regular

Right now I think Coda has a pretty big edge on Espresso. Espresso just kind of feels incomplete at this point. I am surprised they are releasing already when they know their competition in Coda.

I am also impressed by the Flux 2 beta which you can sign up for on the developers forums. 1 was a neat app, but 2 is a whole other ball game.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I love CSSEdit so much that I was wanting Espresso (that is, CSSEdit for HTML) even before I knew it existed. I'd tried Coda, but it just didn't feel "right" to me.

Having tried Espresso as a demo on the day it was released, I agree that it doesn't feel quite as all-inclusive as CSSEdit--the lack of an X-ray equivalent feature is odd, and there are a few other things I was expecting that aren't there.

That said, it still does almost everything I want from an HTML editor when used in conjunction with CSSEdit, so I was still almost certain I was going to buy it anyway at the upgrade price (from CSSEdit). I of course jumped on the MacHeist deal with the assumption that it's dirt cheap for the time being, and if v2 eventually fills it out I won't feel the least bit bad about paying full price then.

For $40, I'd go for it. Surely a few of the other apps will give you some use (Library 2 yay!), and I think it's certainly worth that much even with the few weaknesses.

9. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll skip Macheist and let Espresso bake a little longer. The only other app I was interested in, Sous Chef, appears to be in its infancy and a little half-baked as well.

I do have high hopes for it though. CSSEdit is amazing.

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I bought the MacHeist 3 pack specifically for Espresso, although I've only used the beta I think the final product will be worth it.

11. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

at this point espresso only has two features that coda doesn't offer (yet): code-folding and multiple servers. i know that panic has been working on code folding already, so it's in the pipe. and i'm sure we'll see multiple servers (nice if you have a development and deployment server) come along soon.

imo, espresso has a long way to go to rival coda but it's great that it's out so panic will be pushed to improve coda.

12. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

My personal theory is MacRabbit wants to get as many people as possible to see the promise of Espresso through MacHeist and then try to get as many upgrades as possible later on.

It is promising, but at this point isn't very full-featured.

13. seventeen macrumors member

I took a look at it and downloaded it in Beta before it was released. I liked the way it broke down the document hierarchy. But other than that, it just felt weird. I use Coda and I'm super happy with it.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm enjoying Espresso, but I'm glad I didn't pay $80 or even $40 for it (got a special deal through one of the forum members here for $5). It needs some work, but it's a nice start.

One thing I ran into today is that there doesn't seem to be any way to set permissions from within Espresso, so when I uploaded a file that needed 755 permissions, and it was already set that way on the server, Espresso uploaded the modified version with the permissions set to 644. Being able to set those will be essential since FTP support is built in to the app.

Really though, it feels very similar to Smultron but with the FTP and live preview functions added in (plus file browsing, in addition to being able to open tabbed documents like Smultron), so I'm feeling right at home, and using fewer applications.

jW

15. memco macrumors 6502

After using Espresso for a little while, I think you're not missing anything by not having it. It's decent, and had one of my requirements be a brand new editor; it would probably win out over coda.

However, I think you should really look at Textmate. The more I use other editors the more I appreciate how much power and maturity it has. Code folding, projects, regexp (not as good as BBEdit though), snippets, ftp support, SCM–if it wasn't in there to begin with, it takes 5 minutes to add it. If you do try it, I recommend the Moleskine mod. It packages SVN, webmate, and missing drawer, to give TM a nice set of features and more modern UI.

16. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

I ended up getting it from someone on this forum for three bucks and change. Haven't had time to play with it!