ESR Case from Amazon vs. Apple Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by triple-tap, Jun 7, 2016.

1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I recently purchased an iPP 12.9" for myself and a iPP 9.7" for my wife (1st anniversary gifts + BestBuy had a killer sale on the 12.9).

My wife grabbed the navy smart cover from a local Apple store. I am genuinely amazed at how strong the magnets are on this case. We previously had a single iPad Air 2, and the smart cover (again, genuine apple cover) would repeatedly fall away from the iPad when folded behind the device. However, on my wife's new iPP 9.7, the Smart Cover remains firmly attached to the rear of the device regardless of how she holds it.

In an attempt to mitigate the spending this month, I purchased an ESR full case from Amazon for ~$19.
    http://www.amazon.com/ESR-Bumper-Sm...ad pro case&qid=1465355350&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

However, the cover will not cling to the rear of the case whenever it is folded around the back. It constantly flops down unless I am holding the iPad with a grip on the right side of the device.

My question is this:

Does the official Ipad Pro 12.9 Smart Cover from Apple (the one for $59) have extremely strong magnets that will keep the flap connected to the rear of the device regardless of how I hold it? OR is the size of the front cover the determining factor that keeps it from sticking to the rear of the device?

Thanks in advance.

TL;DR version: Does the official 12.9" Smart Cover from Apple stick FIRMLY to the rear of the iPP when it is wrapped around the rear of the device?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, the official Smart Cover for the 12.9 iPad Pro does have strong magnets that stick firmly to the rear of the iPP when folded backward. And THAT is with clear Con-Tact paper being used as a protective skin on the back.