iPad Pro ESR iPad Pro 9.7 Smart Case review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Donka, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I occasionally receive products samples for review and this is one I wanted to share as I really rate it.
    The Slim Fit Smart Case from ESR is a folio style case for the iPad Pro 9.7. It features a hard plastic rear shell and a faux leather front cover which is permanently attached. It is one of the slimmest folio cases, perhaps even the slimmest of its type for the iPad Pro. It is certainly a lot slimmer than the official front and back option from Apple and it weighs in at 177g.

The rear shell wraps around the sides ensuring good protection but also features a rubberised surface which feels good in the hand and makes gripping the case very easy. This surface also means the case stays in position on a table top without slipping around when typing for example. The case features all the requisite openings for access to lightning connector, speakers, microphones, lock switch, volume buttons, camera, headphone port & power button. There is plenty of room when accessing the likes of the headphone or lightning ports which means you can safely use third party options without the fear of the plug casing being too large to plug in properly through the case.

The front cover is a synthetic leather material with a soft, interior lining and this sits on top of the screen. This cover is reinforced to offer protection to the screen and is constructed from 3 sections which allows it to fold up to act as a stand in exactly the same way as the official Apple case. This means only landscape orientation is supported but allows a steep angle for viewing or lower down when using the onscreen keyboard. The cover also supports auto sleep/wake if you have this enabled in settings and this worked perfectly every time. The magnets in the cover are strong enough to hold the cover in place when folded back flush against the rear of the case. There is also a small, discreet ESR logo embossed on the lower right of the cover which helps to separate this from the more generic cases out there.

While this doesn't offer the same protection as a full on rugged case, it is definitely a low cost way to add good protection for your iPad Pro. I personally prefer these slimmer style cases that don't add much to the slim design of the iPad and this case from ESR is easily one of my favourites!

Please ask if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

2. theman510 macrumors 6502

3. kendo88 macrumors regular

How flexible is the back cover? My main worry with hard cases is scratching the iPad when removing or installing the case onto the iPad. The good thing about apple official cases is that they are of a soft material inside to prevent any damage to the device. Thanks

4. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

Link:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESR-Touching-Leather-Rubberized-Function/dp/B01D1NUHAU
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2016 ---
    It is reasonably flexible but it also has that softer rubberised coating on the inside as well as being easy to insert and remove. I think it is highly unlikely it would scratch the iPad.

5. 31 Flavas, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

31 Flavas macrumors 6502

Thanks for this write up / review. I'm looking for a new case as I just picked up an iPad Pro 9.7" Wi-Fi only (in the USA) off of Best Buy's Black Friday in July promotion. I'm currently using ESR's iPad Air 2 version of this case. Like you said, it really is a slim and light weight case. Therefore I figured I'd look to see if ESR had iPad Pro 9.7" variant. It's good to see that there is one.

However, I can't seem to find any availability in the States. Their store on (the USA) Amazon.com has seemingly gone and disappeared. Their storefront on Amazon.com is blank and completely empty. In light of that, I looked around and it appears MoKo sells a nearly identical case. Perhaps it's ESR under a different name for the United States? Or maybe it's an asian bootleg / copy cat company. No clue.

Either way, is Apple the only one with a keyboard that connects to the iPad by the smart connector on the left side of the iPad? I don't know that I want a physical keyboard for my iPad Pro, but so far all I'm finding is Bluetooth Keyboards or apples on super over priced Smart Keyboard Cover.

Of the cases with a holder or protection (of some sort) for the Apple Pencil, they've been expensive, too. $40-$60 Speck seems to have the best protection for the Pencil. UAG seems to have the best case, but holder for the Pencil is outside and exposed. Seems like it would be easy for the pencil to get accidentally detached or for the Pencil holder itself to snap off.

Any suggestions?

6. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I have the Moko case for my 12.9 Pro and it is very similar to the ESR case. The Moko covers the speakers though (with small holes) whereas the ESR is completely open.