ESR Rebound Smart Case for Mini 5--Brief Review with Pics

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Pseudo-Fed, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

(Also got the Tomtoc 7.9" sleeve pictured. Nothing to say here other than greatness for the price--same as the identical one I have for my 10.5 pro)

Ordered this to enshrine my new 256gb silver cellular Mini 5:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P249QDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only criticism I have is the green of the front is slightly more blue than the "pine green" of the back. No big deal for the price and since I like both colors.

It's easy enough to install on the iPad, but not so easy that I worry about the iPad coming out if it takes a spill. All cutouts are exact, front cover appears securely attached to the back (passed the tug test), it's thin and light. It offers some protection to the iPad case as a TPU type material that is softer and thicker than the hard shell cases. The back has a matte texture that does NOT show any fingerprints, and it adds some grip (though not as positive as silicon, but nor does it attract the lint). Sort of a "frosted" finish. The case fits well around and does not interfere with my Zagg glass screen protector. All buttons work well with the same light pressure needed to operate them on the iPad alone.

The front cover overhangs the back slightly, allowing easy opening. The front cover edges are not at all "sharp". They actually have the same pleasant soft feeling as the microfiber lining of the inside of the front cover. Time will tell if it frays. Sleep/wake is flawless, and the magnets are just strong enough for that reassuring thunk when let go to close. The magnets also grab well in landscape to make a secure stand--I couldn't knock it over with the jab test. Likewise typing stand mode holds well. The front cover does not flop or slide around when closed--it holds well against the iPad and the back of the case.

The Tomtoc sleeve was $13, and the ESR case was $15. Together they were less than the Apple smart cover I bought for the mini, and which I returned.

[​IMG]Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr

2. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

I have the same case but in black. I love mine too. Good review.

3. Pseudo-Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Guessing if it's for the Mini 5 you haven't had it long. Any issues with the case you've found?

4. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

None so far. I was worried it wouldn’t fit but it fits perfectly.

5. ruiinplano macrumors newbie

the case is neat, I am going to get one for my dad!

6. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

Love the case but it is a lint machine. I may have to get a lint roller if i want to continue to use it.

7. three macrumors 65816

three

Both this case + my iPad Mini 5 arrived today. So far I'm really happy with the case, especially the nice dark green color.

8. Pseudo-Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Really!? I don't find that at all, and it goes in bag or sleeve with plenty of lint. I don't find it at all like the silicon cases which have heavy static cling.

9. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

Maybe something is wrong with mine. It’s a huge problem.

10. Pseudo-Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

"You're holding it wrong". lol. Man, I don't get it. Maybe you live in a northern still-winter dry climate with advanced static cling?

I'm in Texas with wake up humidity in the high 80s to lower 90s, and it "drys out" to the 40s during the day. I just don't feel the TPU material or polyurethane front cover as being the type of rubber that holds static. It is the polar opposite of Apple's silicon phone cases, their new battery cases (which are VERY bad with lint, and why I bought and returned), silicon iPad cases of the past.

To me it behaves more like Apple's "flouroelastomer" sport watch bands, which don't attract anything (unlike silicon knock offs).

I guess that's why YMMV.

Edited to add: My pics were taken on my dusty workbench on my dusty protective towel, and no lint or dust is showing on the case. When I did the same pics with the Apple silicon cases or a couple knock off cases or watch bands I had to wipe off the device with a wet rag to even get a good pic due to lint.

11. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Thanks, I ordered the ESR Yippee Trifold for a compact slim case to carry the iPad Mini 5 in a pocket, but don't like the thin hard shell - it's good looking, but I think the grippy TPU would be better to hold onto. I also am worried that the hard shell case I bought will crack more easily with age or drops.

So, I just ordered the Rebound and will return the Yippee.

It sounds like the Rebound will be a softer and easier to grip material, just like the Ztotop case that I bought to have storage for the Apple Pencil. But this Rebound case would be a little less wide for when I want to go without pencil and have it be smaller to slip it into a cargo pants packet. So, if you need a case to store the Apple Pencil I highly recommend the Ztotop below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ7C3JH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot 2019-04-07 12.31.05.png

12. VertPin macrumors 6502a

VertPin

This was exactly what I was hoping to see. Green is my favorite color, but unfortunately that is too dark and too blue. Blah! Great review though!

13. ruiinplano macrumors newbie

The lint free is a minimal require for a sleeve

14. Kisey macrumors 6502a

What about when you flip the cover over to the back? Does it flop around or does it stick? I normally buy the ESR cases with the magnet on the back, but it seems they don't have it for the Mini 5.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

15. Pseudo-Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Don’t think it has a magnet, but it doesn’t flop around either. I noted that it n my review.

16. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

Sigh. On my second case and this one is too a lint magnet :.(.

17. groundcontrol macrumors regular

groundcontrol

Thanks. Very helpful to read this. Looking forward to trying this case out.

18. rouggie macrumors newbie

I got the 10.5 version and the back of the cover (the side that touches the scree) its a lint magnet aswell, find myself cleaning it constantly..