Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory company ESR has launched a Kickstarter campaign for its upcoming 100W 6-in-1 Charging Station, which supports an array of devices across Apple's ecosystem.

esr-6-in-1-station-1.jpg

Like many triple device chargers, the 6-in-1 Charging Station includes a MagSafe charging surface for an iPhone, an officially certified Apple Watch charger, and a spot for charging AirPods, but it also includes two USB-C ports and a USB-A port for charging additional devices over wired connections.

ESR's wireless phone charging surface is official MagSafe-certified, so it can charge devices at the full 15-watt speed of the specification. It also includes ESR's "CryoBoost" fan and heat dissipation technology integrated into the charging surface to help keep your device cool, protecting battery health and letting your phone charge at the fastest speeds for longer.

The integrated 5-watt Apple Watch charger supports the same speeds as Apple's official chargers, including fast charging for the Series 7, Series 8, and Ultra. The AirPods wireless charging surface also runs at 5 watts, allowing for full-speed charging.

When it comes to wired charging, you'll find the two USB-C ports and single USB-A port lined up along the right edge of the device, and the power available to each depends on how many are in use.

esr-6-in-1-station-2.jpg

There are obviously a lot of possible combinations of devices, but in order to get 100-watt charging out of either of the USB-C ports, you'll need to have only a single device connected. If you're using any of the wireless charging surfaces, that drops the single USB-C maximum to 65 watts. And of course adding more devices to the mix will reduce the power available to each one.

A fully utilized charging station will be able to provide 40 watts to the first USB-C port, 20 watts to the second USB-C port, 5 watts to the USB-A port, and then 25 watts divided among the wireless chargers to maintain full charging speeds on those.

ESR is using the latest GaN technology for efficiency and to minimize the bulk of the charging station, and there is no additional power brick needed, only a removable 1.8-meter power cord specific to the socket type in your region.

The Kickstarter campaign is live now and has already met its funding goal but will run through September 1. Shipments to the U.S., Canada, and select European countries will begin in October, as will sales through Amazon. ESR is offering a couple of discounted pricing tiers for the Kickstarter campaign, including a limited Super Early Bird tier priced at ~$143 and an Early Bird tier at ~$154. The retail price once it officially launches will be $179.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Kickstarter/ESR. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: ESR's Upcoming 100W 6-in-1 Charging Station Supports MagSafe, Apple Watch, AirPods, and USB

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I like the idea of a single charger for everything (although my MBP is charged by my monitor, I still have plenty of things that need charging!), but it could probably do with more than 100W total power for people who do want to include charging their laptop from this.

Price-wise it's not much more than the other "premium" solutions out there (such as the Belkin one) and it does offer more so while expensive it's not ridiculous.

I'm definitely interested in a solution like this but will probably wait and look at it again once the kickstarter is over and it's available retail

Dark enV

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Not in love with the design but the functionality is exactly what I’ve been looking for. My only concern is the iPhone 15 series. What if they increase MagSafe capabilities where we can get 20W instead of 15W? In the end it doesn’t really matter as much I guess because I primarily use MagSafe when I go to bed. If I need to charge quickly I use a wired charger so I can do the same here. I went ahead and did the super early bird since this hits all the check box items for me. The fact that I can charge my phone, watch, AirPods, iPad Pro, my diabetic pump and my MacBook Pro with this thing is a big win for me.

Dark enV

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Would rather spend a bit more on a name brand when it comes to chargers. Not trying to burn the house down.
I’d normally agree. ESR has been around for a while now with their HaloLock gear and MagSafe items. The fact that they’ve been around for a few years now and I’ve owned their products is really the only reason I’m going for this. But I’ve been burned by plenty of kickstarter items before. I think this one is going to be okay, they’ve been advertising this for a while now that it would be coming to kickstarter.

Aug 30, 2022
Not sure if this product is safe enough. That’s a lot of power generating lots of heat when multiple Apple devices are connected at the same time. I hope Apple one day brings a likeminded product to the market.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
One of my favorite parts about owning a 3D printer is the ability to whip up a multi-device stand in 10-16hrs depending on size for pennies in material. Supplying and integrating my own cables, of course. Like I get the premium aesthetic these "solutions" are going for, and my bedside stand doesn't charge my MBP, but $100s for chargers is ridiculous imo.

Reactions: sos47

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
The amount of charging stations in the market is absolutely nuts. They all have different "total power", different individual powers, number of plugs, types of plugs, etc. while costing beyond and arm and a leg. $150+ for a charging station?! Somehow this is better than the 3 free power plugs that come with the Apple (and non-Apple) devices and/or the power supplies you already own (and paid for)? You can buy a 2-pack of 20-watt chargers that include charging cables for $10 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BW5X89MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or even Anker brand tiny 20-watts at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09491FT41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $18. Or a lot of devices that charge 5-7 items for $40-$50.

Lastly, who charges all their devices at the same time in the middle of the day while you're working? My iPhone lasts at least 2 days before charging. My Watch lasts at least 24 hours. My iPads can go for a few days. Here's a pro tip, folks: charge them at night (or during your lunch) on the counter with your existing power plugs so you don't have to have a $150 "charging station" the size of a keyboard permanently taking up your space.

I know this charges a few things wirelessly...but pssst. pssst. I'll let you in on 2 secrets: 1)you still need a cord for the wireless charger and 2)the wireless charger charges slower than your existing wired power supplies.

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
I find it amazing that they could launch a brand new high-end multi device charger and not think to have it support fast charging for the new Apple watches

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
I find it amazing that they could launch a brand new high-end multi device charger and not think to have it support fast charging for the new Apple watches

Am I missing something here: "The integrated 5-watt Apple Watch charger supports the same speeds as Apple's official chargers, including fast charging for the Series 7, Series 8, and Ultra."

I do find it odd that in general, there are so many chargers that don't support Apple Watch fast charging. Seems that there are only the high end Belkin ones and maybe one from Anker.

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I recently was a kickstarter backer for the esr magsafe wallet with findmy feature and it went very smooth. They are not a big company like Belkin so I can see them using kickstarter.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
ESR has a lot of kit on Amazon. I have had a couple of their iPad and iPhone cases and they have been pretty good, especially for the price. The one on this IPP has a very good secure slot for the Apple Pencil.

that said, while not Belkin sized, it isn’t a small company, and has been up and running for years. What on earth is it doing on Kickstarter? I thought it was for little businesses wanting a start. A kick start.

Reactions: nerdherdster

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Why does a company like ESR need kickstarter to fund the production of this device? What next? Elon opens a Patreon for Twitter?
This is really popular with small companies these days. It gives them access to capital without having to take on debt or gift up a portion of the company.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I. Hate it when actual companies with products have a Kickstarter campaign for a new one. Just make the damn product.
I agree.

Our small, self-funded company publishes instructional manga. About 15 years ago, one of our competitors (bigger and better funded than us) began running Kickstarter campaigns to fund its publishing projects. Many of the promised publications never saw the day of light.

Our company began using the slogan, "While they are running Kickstarters, we are publishing books."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.