Essential book for photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cool11, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I use photoshop for many years, and I know how to use many of it's functions, even though I could not call myself a professional.
    I 've also read some related books about photoshop, but this happened many years ago(>ten) on old versions.

I am not an artist, am not a photographer also. But I really like photoshop, I use it in combination with many of my web projects, and I think I achieve good results. I am also interested in photo manipulation.

If I invest, time and money, in one book, that explores all the new and all the classic tools of photoshop, which book this should be, among the hundreds that hit the market?
    I will dedicate my time and money, and I want to read something that is really essential, and really matters. Something that will expand my knowledge about it and will be a companion in my explorations for the years to come.

I wait for your suggestion.

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Not sure about books, but it might be worth looking at Linda or Scott Kelby's site.

They have some great tutorials on most things photoshop...at a price, unfortunately they are not free

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I am not sure if watching video tutorials is better than a book.

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

Back in the day when I was learning I found the "Classroom in a Book" series invaluable. I haven't looked at one in over 11 years or so so I can't comment on the newer versions but they did update them on new versions.

It starts you down in the trenches of knowing nothing. Each lesson builds on what you did prior so you'll have to continue to retain what you did and how you did it before to continue to progress, with the added bonus you can flip back a few pages. It was a great reference manual when I was learning.

5. jeremy h macrumors 6502

How about Caplin's book - How to Cheat in Photoshop CS5? I bought the original when it first came out (again years and years ago.)

Not a full Photoshop guide but the original was good fun and surprisingly useful.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

In what way? I have found some tutorials on Lynda very useful and the ability to set aside a bit of time and learn a few functions is great.

I am a very visual and auditory learner so having someone walk it through with me is great.

I wouldn't knock it until you have tried a whole course!

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

Martin evening - photoshop for photographers

the pro's choice ;)