Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
So ive just recently gotten my first mac a completely kick a** ibook and I wondering about essential maintainece that I should do and how to do it. Ive never been great about maintaing anything about computers except their physical well being. Probly because I never trusted my windows machine enough to put something important on it. And because I knew that I would always be reformating every 6 to 12 months (limewire).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
AP_piano295 said:
So ive just recently gotten my first mac a completely kick a** ibook and I wondering about essential maintainece that I should do and how to do it. Ive never been great about maintaing anything about computers except their physical well being. Probly because I never trusted my windows machine enough to put something important on it. And because I knew that I would always be reformating every 6 to 12 months (limewire).
Download OnyX.

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
I run ONYX probably once a week, repair permissions with Disk Utility after installing any new apps (in your /applications/utilities folder) and have applejack installed in case of emergencies.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
What do you run Onyx for?

There's really no maintenance you need to do with OS X unless you're concerned about the daily, weekly, monthly nightly (actually around 4.30am) routines not running because you have shut down your Mac (if you only sleep it these tasks will run when you next awaken it apparently).

If you want to run these tasks manually just do it in Terminal which is in your Applications/Utlities folder.

Launch Terminal, in the Computer > Mac OS X > Applications > Utilities folder.

1.At the prompt, type the following, exactly as written:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

2. Press Return.

3. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.

All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns.

You can also run the scripts individually. For example, to run just the daily script, you would type the command

sudo periodic daily
in step 3 above.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Bern said:
[...]
If you want to run these tasks manually just do it in Terminal which is in your Applications/Utlities folder.
[...]
Yes, everything can be done in Terminal, but many users are not comfortable with Terminal.app and unix commands, and some - like me, who aren't uncomfortable with terminals - just prefer the ease-of-use in apps like OnyX or MainMenu (my favorite ;)). :)

Repairing permissions (the most common maintenance task) is also much easier with OnyX/MainMenu then with Disk Utility/Terminal.

And, just to add to the emphasis, the most important thing is to have reasonably current backup of all your essential data!

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Bern said:

There's really no maintenance you need to do with OS X unless you're concerned about the daily, weekly, monthly nightly (actually around 4.30am) routines not running because you have shut down your Mac (if you only sleep it these tasks will run when you next awaken it apparently)
What is the exact time those periodic scripts should run actually? 3.00AM? 4.00AM? or 4.30AM?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
My only suggestion would be to clean your machine occasionally with a cloth, only maintainance i do:)

Enjoy your machine, it's a nice change

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
...Repairing permissions (the most common maintenance task) is also much easier with OnyX/MainMenu then with Disk Utility/Terminal...

As opposed to opening Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities folder? :eek:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
fayans said:
What is the exact time those periodic scripts should run actually? 3.00AM? 4.00AM? or 4.30AM?
I had a discussion with another member about this, and we are pretty sure that the scripts run when they can. Meaning, if they are missed because of sleep or shutdown, they will run later.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Bern said:
As opposed to opening Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities folder? :eek:
Yes, it's easier, especially for the not so technically inclined. Disk Utility is not the most user friendly piece of software on a Mac. OnyX, and even more so the pre-authorized MainMenu is far easier. You cannot make it much easier than this (;)):

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 81

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yes, it's easier, especially for the not so technically inclined. Disk Utility is not the most user friendly piece of software on a Mac. OnyX, and even more so the pre-authorized MainMenu is far easier. You cannot make it much easier than this (;)):

So I guess that means no one but me uses the terminal to repair permissions?
diskutil repairPermissions disk0s3
I feel it is much faster. Probably just in my head though. :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
grapes911 said:
So I guess that means no one but me uses the terminal to repair permissions?
I feel it is much faster. Probably just in my head though. :eek:
I used to do it, and / is easier to type than diskxxx, but I don't you need sudo to get it to fix all permissions? :confused: Like this:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

But after I found MainMenu, even Terminal is too much of a hassle... :D

yoak said:
Hei Mitthrawnuruodo.
Thanks for telling me about Mainmenu, great little app. that one.
Værsågod... ;)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I used to do it, and / is easier to type than diskxxx, but I don't you need sudo to get it to fix all permissions? :confused: Like this:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
I think you are right, but I'm not sure. I don't do it manually. I made a script called maintenance and saved it in /etc/

#!/bin/bash
# start
say "now entering custom maintainance"
# repair permissions
# software update
softwareupdate -ir
# update prebindings
update_prebinding -root /
# end
say "custom maintainance has finished"

Then I added to my crontab and run it as root

# minute hour mday month wday who command
00 3 * * 3 root /etc/maintenance

Repair Permission, update prebindings, and download software updates with out doing anything. Truly the easiest and laziest way to do things. :D

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
fayans said:
That script looks very technical and I wonder how many users know how to write such script. I wish I could. :eek:
Actually, not to sound arrogant, but it a very easy script.

#!/bin/bash - this is needed for all bash scripts. #!/bin/sh works too. After this line, all lines staring with a "#" are comments so I'll ignore them.

say "now entering custom maintainance" - say "X" will force the Mac to speak whatever in in the quotes.

diskutil repairPermissions disk0s3 - Tell Disk Utilities to Repair Permissions on disk0s3. disk0s3 means the first disk (we usually cound from 0 in the computer world), 3rd partition (I'm think it is because there are 2 hidden partition on Mac formated drives). It you have a 2nd partition, you'd use disk0s4.

softwareupdate -ir - runs software update. the i means install the updates. The r means all recommended updates.

update_prebinding -root / -I'm not sure about this one. I copied it from someone else. :eek:

say "custom maintainance has finished" - Make the computer talk again.

I hope this helped some. I really recommend everyone to learn some sort of scripting language (I prefer bash) and the terminal. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
AP_piano295 said:
Ive never been great about maintaing anything about computers except their physical well being.

Then you made the right choice...Macs don't really need maintenance. No registry, no viruses, no Windows. I've done nothing to my Mac (except make backups), and it runs as well now as it did when I got it a year ago.

--Eric

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Thanks grapes911 for the details.

...I don't do it manually. I made a script called maintenance and saved it in /etc/

#!/bin/bash
# start
say "now entering custom maintainance"
# repair permissions
# software update
softwareupdate -ir
# update prebindings
update_prebinding -root /
# end
say "custom maintainance has finished"

Then I added to my crontab and run it as root

# minute hour mday month wday who command
00 3 * * 3 root /etc/maintenance

Does your script works with Panther?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.