Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Hey guys,

I want to use safari as my main browser due to the integration with other apple products and also the good energy management.

Maybe of you might have heard of the privacy browser BRAVE. I think it is a good first step in the right direction. I would like to keep safari, but having the advantages of brave, as much as it is possible.

I wanted to ask you guys, which privacy add ons can you recommend? Right now I Just modified the settings and have wipr. Unfortunately Firefox and Chrome have many other extensions which keep you private.

So any suggestions?

Thanks!

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Hey guys,

I want to use safari as my main browser due to the integration with other apple products and also the good energy management.

Maybe of you might have heard of the privacy browser BRAVE. I think it is a good first step in the right direction. I would like to keep safari, but having the advantages of brave, as much as it is possible.

I wanted to ask you guys, which privacy add ons can you recommend? Right now I Just modified the settings and have wipr. Unfortunately Firefox and Chrome have many other extensions which keep you private.

So any suggestions?

Thanks!

I really rate this https://better.fyi/

Reactions: Skoal

purgatori_sakkara

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2018
Australia
Safari already includes a number of privacy features, such as Intelligent Tracking Protection and some sort of anti-fingerprinting technology that came along with the Mojave update. You can test how Safari performs in this regard by visiting a site like: https://panopticlick.eff.org

One thing Safari does not do, however, is block ads. If that's something you want, then an extension like uBlock Origin or Adblock might be the ticket. In general, though, I would recommend installing too many extensions: for one, they can drag Safari's performance down/increase resource usage, or actually render Safari's native protections less effective.

Reactions: ales876

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Since the Mojave OS release extensions have really been hurt for Safari. There used to be quite a few available prior but now there’s just a minute amount, at least on the MAS. I’ve used 1Blocker for quite some time and it’s been great. I never see ads.

Reactions: ales876

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Safari already includes a number of privacy features, such as Intelligent Tracking Protection and some sort of anti-fingerprinting technology that came along with the Mojave update. You can test how Safari performs in this regard by visiting a site like: https://panopticlick.eff.org

One thing Safari does not do, however, is block ads. If that's something you want, then an extension like uBlock Origin or Adblock might be the ticket. In general, though, I would recommend installing too many extensions: for one, they can drag Safari's performance down/increase resource usage, or actually render Safari's native protections less effective.

Thanks, this site gives good hints were to improve :)

Yes I am aware of the performance thing that's why I ask before I just dump the extension directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.