Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
what is the average selling price of an iOS app, I read an article where it was 20-50 grand.

i dont want to go in to detail among which apps, but professional apps where it is developed for companies whether by independent programmer or developing companies

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
It depends on many factors, current sales, how complex it is, competition, time to develop, upgrade plans, artwork used, popularity, etc...

The 'average' price would be pretty meaningless because you have a ton of simple apps and much less higher end apps. A calculator app would be worth about $1 vs a high end game popular might be worth $200K+

Also, if an app is on the upswing it should be worth more, some popular apps just got kicked off the appstore, that would kill their value.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
It depends on many factors, current sales, how complex it is, competition, time to develop, upgrade plans, artwork used, popularity, etc...

The 'average' price would be pretty meaningless because you have a ton of simple apps and much less higher end apps. A calculator app would be worth about $1 vs a high end game popular might be worth $200K+

Also, if an app is on the upswing it should be worth more, some popular apps just got kicked off the appstore, that would kill their value.

per say a catalog/lookbook app that utilizes caching and local data bases.

just an estimate for the average selling price that you would sell to like a manufacturer or company in any industry

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
what is the average selling price of an iOS app, I read an article where it was 20-50 grand.

Other articles and online estimates also put the median iOS app development contract price in that range (for an app that has only a median amount of features and artwork that need to be customized). A more full-featured or customized app can go a lot higher (easily 10X more).

For a catalog app, don't forget all the additional costs for the back-end, services, and maintenance, which usually not included in a generic mobile app development contract.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Other articles and online estimates also put the median iOS app development contract price in that range (for an app that has only a median amount of features and artwork that need to be customized). A more full-featured or customized app can go a lot higher (easily 10X more).

For a catalog app, don't forget all the additional costs for the back-end, services, and maintenance, which usually not included in a generic mobile app development contract.

yea i dont know i just want to know if we can sell it for more, than our starting price now

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
i just want to know if we can sell it...

Selling apps is a bigger problem. Everybody thinks their own app ideas are great, and anyone else's new app idea is stupid.

Thus customers are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to have their own great ideas developed, but very little to nothing for someone else's app concept...

...unless that app or concept has an existing historical revenue stream whose IRR can be estimated and perhaps where the variability of it can be hedged against.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.