Estimated life expectancy of SSD(OWC 115gb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Mar 29, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I purchased an OWC 115gb Mercury Pro Drive. I saw a "Comparison of SSD Data Write Speed Estimated Over Time" on the OWC site and wondered how long SSD data blocks can be written to.

I have about 85 gb free and expect to fill that free space almost every week or two before moving the data to the 5400rmp 500gb onboard Apple drive. I am working primarily with large Nikon RAW images(12-20mb each) and some Nikon movie files(50mb-400mb).

I know SandForce is supposed to prolong the drive life but how long are SSD's to surviv ewith constant writing and reading of data to almost max drive capacity.

Also is this true or more marketing drivel: "Unlike most SSDs on the market today, the Mercury Pro family uses advanced SandForce DuraWrite™ wear-leveling and block management technologies to keep Read/Write performance at peak while others see performance fall."

Thanks.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Just aslong as your are running a sandforce drive you will be fine!

3. themac23 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Explain why.

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Information on the longevity of SandForce controlled drives can be seen here.

Not to mention the patch that activates TRIM in OSX.

The SSD should be fine, its longevity would at least match that of a conventional platter hard drive.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a good article. While there is a limited life cycle to the memory cells, and this varies from drive to drive, you are not likely to hit that number for many many years in normal usage.

Post #3 of this thread has some calculations if you want to look up the specs for your drive and do the math. Using the post authors example SSD spec, you would have to write 220GB of data a day for 50 years to start having dead cells.

6. themac23 macrumors regular

So do the stock apple drives have sandforce? How many cycles are they estimated at?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No apple does not use the sandforce controller.

8. themac23 macrumors regular

Right. TRIM takes it's place, correct?

Does anyone know how many cycles the Apple SSD's are estimated to have?

9. skier777 macrumors 6502

I would imagine that this drive will last until 1TB SSDs can be picked up for $200.

You just said every week, 52weeks per year, 520 weeks in ten years, 5200 in a hundred years, if you had one complete write every week you would die before the drive failed.