Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
after many months of drooling over the apple store website, scouring macrumors, and all out obsession, i'm fairly certain that i'm going to order a 12" powerbook with combo drive through the cram + jam deal, upping the hard drive to the 80gb 5400rpm. i'll be a switcher (in ownership only - i've been using osx at my job for almost a year and ADORE it) and am very excited. (i babble endlessly about powerbooks to anyone who will listen).

however, i have one question that i haven't seen addressed: how long, on average, does it take (from ordering, building, and shipping) for a bto pb to arrive? my unusual problem is that, due to the fact that i'm moving in a few weeks, and that i wouldn't trust my current apartment to have a package delivered there, i'm hoping that it will take a little extra time - so i can order it just before i move, and have it sent to the new apt.

(there's a slim chance i could get it delivered to work, instead, in which case i'm still interested in how long it took people to get their pb)

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I ordered my 15" powerbook with 3 customized options on July 20th. It has already been built, and sent out. Awaiting arrival now, its already come from shanghai to alaska, and to wherever it is going after that. I should have it by tuesday at the latest.

Morrison23j

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
South Williamsport
I ordered my 15" powerbook on the 19th of July. It is a BTO with extra memory and backlit keys(its the combo, 1.33). As of the 23th it still hasnt shipped and I chose to day shipping. Good rule is 5 days for apple to build and then depending on the shipping, standard is 5 days I think or 2 day shipping. So look around 10 days for standard at the latest and 7 days for 2 day shipping at the latest.

PeterD42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2004
Perth, Australia
I'm so excited

Order Status as of 06:13 PM JST, 07/23/2004 Shipped

Ordered on net 07/20/2004
Delay on 07/21/2004 verifying my ID
Arrived 28th July

This is for 15" PB 5400 HDD 128 Mb Video std memory

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
When i ordered my PB back on June 22 customized (my sig) it arrived here that friday. So it basically took 1 day to build and 3 days to ship. I was very suprised it made it here in that amount of time.

GroverDoc

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2004
Bronx
quick

Might be a rare case, but I ordered a BTO PB15 (5400 HD, 128 VRAM, Combo drive, 512RAM) on july 8 and received the delivery on the morning of july 13. I was amazed. It arrived 1 day earlier than predicted. I think I also picked a pretty popular BTO configuration...

R

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
1 week less a day

I did the cram and jam deal (15 GB iPod, 15 inch PB BTO with 80 GB HD and backlit keyboard). I ordered Friday morning and the iPod arrived on Tuesday of the following week (it shipped friday afternoon) and the PB arrive on Thursday (shipped Tuesday). That was with the free "ground" shipping.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I ordered my 12" PB BTO at the beginning of this month.

Ordered it Monday night

Ready to ship Wednesday night, but didn't because the spending limit on my card was $500 (You are not charged for the purcahse until your product is ready to ship or at least that was my case).

Went to the bank Thursday and had that fixed.
Called Apple and told them my card was ready.
Processed the order and laptop was shipped Thursday night.

Recieved my laptop Monday.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
i ordered a 12" pb with an upgraded hard drive last friday (july 16th). estimated shipping was the 22nd, but i got an email today saying its been pushed back to the 28th. oh well....good things come to those who wait, or something like that

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
my bto came the same week I placed the order. I was pleasantly supprised.
Wish I could say that for my sunglasses though.... lost my previous pair and now I really need them....

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
apple' s shipping procedures are really a tiny bit puzzling.

i'm still waiting for the bto all mod cons pb i web-ordered on July 20. it did ship exactly on the estimated day of shipping, the 27th - or so apple's website says - but ever since TNT's tracking info has shown no activity at all.

on the other hand my brother-in-law has already received his green ipod mini i ordered for him less then a week ago, although apple said it would take four weeks to deliver (estimated day of shipping was august 23rd).

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I had a very fast ship, too.

Ordered a 15/1.33 with 5400/backlit/1.5 GB of ram ... ordered it on a Monday morning. Got it on the next Monday. All the way from Shanghai to Alabama in three days. Amazing.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
If I remember right, it only took about a week and a half to get my BTO 15" PB last year. My build was pretty simple, bigger HD and 512ram vs. the 256 standard at the time.

But it's hard to say how long it will take. If you're concerned about not being around when it's shipped, how about a family member that may live close by? Or a good friend? If nothing else, I'm sure you could get it delivered to where you work, I would think they would understand your situation.

Good luck!

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Ordered my 17" PB through work on July 20 and it was processed July 22. Supposed ship date is today or earlier, August 2, but I'm not holding my breath since it obviously hasn't shipped yet. iBook ordered at the same time is not expected to ship until August 23! Maybe regular retail is faster or else I just have bad luck compared to the others that got theirs within a week.

Champale

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Chicago, USA
Warp speed!

I ordered my fully loaded 15" PB on July 28.

I received it this morning on August 2nd.

I tracked it from Shanghai to Anchorage to Indianapolis and finally to Michigan.

It was like watching the Fedex stork bringing my baby home.

Pretty fast, if you ask me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.