Estimates on when lines die down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jookbox, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Jookbox macrumors 6502

I live in Los Angeles and I was hoping sometime this week. How was it last year? I basically would like to go when the wait is under an hour.

I'm as anxious as anyone else, but I don't want to spend a day buying one. I went to the one in Century City yesterday afternoon and they even had a separate long line for people who don't want an iphone, lol.

BTW, the stores just opened for anyone planning to go today.

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Let me know when you do...

i remember last year... didn't want to wait in line either, too me about six days to get one walk in/walk out.... apple store glendale galleria...

r.

3. OceanView macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat.
    I hate wasting time standing around.
    I'm waiting till end of the week to attempt it.
    Lines should be gone by then.

4. TimV macrumors member

Count me in as an anti-line stander inner, too. My time is just too valuable to waste several hours doing nothing while waiting to buy a phone. I'll go back later this week probably after Wednesday or Thursday.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I waited in line last year on the first day, but i'm not doing that this year. I'm thinking by Wednesday lines should be quite short. I'm in no rush to get it, but i plan on purchasing it within the next two weeks or so.

6. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

In the UK there are no lines anymore - Apple stores still have stock too for new buyers if anyone is interested. O2 and CPW due to get more stock Tuesday or Thursday

7. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you guys just go to the AT&T store, swipe your card, and they'll call you when it comes in?

I did that Friday and am supposedly getting mine within the next 2-3 days. I don't care if it takes two weeks though... there is no way I'm standing in line with a bunch of fanbois.

8. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

I am begining to think that the lines will be like this for awhile...why?

Because you have to go to a Apple or ATT store to buy one..ATT stores will only get like 20 per day during the week...Apple stores will get about 100 per day every day but Sunday.

If there are 200+ people in line at each apple store...and most are now sold out...think more like in two weeks, you might be able to go into an ATT store and get one.

There is no other phone or device as hot as the Iphone. You can find a Wii if you really look hard, and you can get one on Ebay...but you really can't get an iphone 3g on ebay or on the internet, you have to go to the apple or att store.

9. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

But are you really going to get your phone in 2 to 3 days? I do not think so...but I could be wrong...What I am gonna do is go to the apple store tommorrow and if they are out of stock go to the ATT store and order.

10. Jookbox thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies. i'll probably check the apple store again wednesday or thursday, if it's still crazy, i'll go to the local at&t (sold out) and order a phone.

man, some of those apps look nice, i'll never be bored in an airport again :)

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Blame in store activation. Instead of the 10-15 minutes per customer that they spent last gen they are spending 30 min to 1 hour with people that either don't have all the information they need, don't qualify either by credit check or some sort of FAN on their account, or have some sort of issue with their account that ends up taking up Apple store employees time that could be spent with other buyers.

They should have just done activation the same way as last time and limited the purchase to 1 per customer/account with a credit card. Had they done it this way the lines would have gone by a lot faster.

12. oban14 macrumors 6502a

My time is pretty valuable to me. My current phone has a browser, fast internet speed, and has served me well for over two years (treo 700p). AT&T online says 2-3 days. In the store, they told me 7-14. Honestly, I don't care how long it takes... The important thing to me was just to go down, pay, and they can call me when it's ready.

I don't want to spend the next week obsessing about which stores have what amount of inventory, lining up at 6 AM, etc.

Here is a joke for you all: What do you call a bunch of people lined up since 4 AM to get the new iPhone?

Answer: Losers! :p

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'm hoping the lines die down by next Saturday.

14. oban14 macrumors 6502a

The joke isn't nearly as funny without the "F**king" in front of "losers". :(

15. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I honestly did not anticipate it being so bad for everyone to get the phone. Was at the mall mid morning friday and saw a guy with the new iphone. Asked how long it took and he said 3 hours. I said, "You're kidding" in disbelief and his comment was "I needed it today". I really wanted to take him to task on the "needed it" part but my kids were with me and let it pass. I figured 1-2 weeks to let it die down. I'd wait no more than 30 minutes personally (just to save me a trip) but with the 2.0 on the original, there is really no reason to waste my time in line for hours to get the new status symbol of '08. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I almost feel sorry for those who are driving around all day going from Apple to ATT back to Apple to score a new phone. ALMOST. I almost feel sorry for those that took a personal day from work to stand in line for hours. ALMOST.

16. oban14 macrumors 6502a

What's to feel sorry for? We all value our time differently, and although it seems crazy to me, they don't get my pity.

17. jakeacc macrumors regular

How does the pre-ordering at AT&T work? I can just go to AT&T right now, skip the line, fill out a form, and wait for them to call me? And when it does arrive, can I just walk to the front of the line (if there is one) and pick up my shipment or do I have to wait in line with the rest of everyone?

If I can skip all lines, I'm willing to wait a few more days/weeks to get the iPhone. That's why I pre-order stuff from Amazon.com. It's a worry-free system.

18. jaysonbank macrumors newbie

Dunno which Apple Store you go to but Regent Street still has a 3 hour wait