Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Registering=BAD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Version 1.5 came out for PC about a week ago. And there currently next to nobody to play with. Anybody know if or when the patch is going to be released??

I just got this game and it is frustrating not to be able to play as it was meant to be played.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd like to know too!

I have been running my own unranked 1.4 server for a while, but I see some ranked 1.4 servers around too. Sometimes a good group gathers, but not often. Compared to before the patch, when I could see tons of servers packed with players. I really want that 1.5 patch!

A couple things I have heard indirectly that MAY be true but I cannot lend them ANY real weight:

* PC patch was delayed in part to make sure all 3 patches worked well together. If true, then it sounds like the 1.5 Mac patch should be well in hand by the time the PC patch came out.

* The guy at Aspyr was on vacation at the time the patch was released. If true (and it was Memorial Day weekend after all) then hopefully it will get done quickly on his/her return.

But I have heard no real info.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
I'd like to know too!

I have been running my own unranked 1.4 server for a while, but I see some ranked 1.4 servers around too. Sometimes a good group gathers, but not often. Compared to before the patch, when I could see tons of servers packed with players. I really want that 1.5 patch!

A couple things I have heard indirectly that MAY be true but I cannot lend them ANY real weight:

* PC patch was delayed in part to make sure all 3 patches worked well together. If true, then it sounds like the 1.5 Mac patch should be well in hand by the time the PC patch came out.

* The guy at Aspyr was on vacation at the time the patch was released. If true (and it was Memorial Day weekend after all) then hopefully it will get done quickly on his/her return.

But I have heard no real info.

Isn't Glenda handling the ET patches?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Could be, I don't know who works on QW.

Whoever it is, I just hope they are living at the office, catching an hour of sleep here and there and eating out of the vending machine to restore my multiplayer entertainment ASAP :D

Luckily I have still been having fun with bots and a few humans. But I do want the "real thing" back.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
This is the real curse of the mac gamer.

Just hope it only takes a few weeks. I feel your pain :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's not an issue I've run into much before, by some good luck in choosing games that have been kept in sync pretty well... but this time I blame myself. I submitted several (minor) bug tickets for the 1.4 version shortly before 1.5 came out :p

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
This is the answer I got from Aspyr Concerning patch 1.5

"Hello,

The patch for Quake Wars is still being evaluated for porting to the Mac. If you have not done so, you can subscribe to our newsletter or download GameAgent, which is sent out via email on a monthly basis. This newsletter is where we announce new projects and patches.

Regrettably, if the information is not shown on that page, or we have not made an announcement about them, then we have no public comment.

Have a nice day,
Aspyr
"

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hey, at least it's worth asking :eek:

It seems that the game itself will notify us of the patch when it's out, anyway.

(I hope "being evaluated" means, "it's done and in testing" rather than "it's still only in planning and hasn't been worked on yet." The phrasing sounds like the latter, which would NOT be good.)

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Hey, at least it's worth asking :eek:

It seems that the game itself will notify us of the patch when it's out, anyway.

(I hope "being evaluated" means, "it's done and in testing" rather than "it's still only in planning and hasn't been worked on yet." The phrasing sounds like the latter, which would NOT be good.)

I replied the email and asked about it.

Here is the answer :

"Hello

Regrettably, that the patch is in evaluation is the only information I am at liberty to give. I cannot say if we are working on it, programing it, or testing it. I will be able to give further information once a formal announcement has been made on the website. Until then the only thing I can say is to check the website regularly or download and check GameAgent regularly.

Have a nice day,
Aspyr Tech Support"

It doesn't sound like we are about to get the patch. At first, the impression I had was that they were evaluating if they were going to release the patch or not. I just hope I was wrong, not supporting a game that you just released would be very disappointing and unprofessionnal from them. I don't think it's going to happen though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I agree, I seriously doubt they would simply fail to patch it--it would kill a brand new game they just started selling!

But the schedule is starting to worry me. Let's hope that the email came from a rep who didn't know the full progress on the patch.

I DO understand that sometimes they simply can't give out information to one person until they are ready to tell everyone. A more detailed statement could sometimes open a whole can of worms and waste their time, and end up getting more people mad than silence would.

Registering=BAD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Geeze I don't understand why they have to be so secretive about it. Its a patch to game - not some top secret sequel or something. And its not like somebody is going to steal their "idea" for the patch (its already out for pc anyway).

I think it would just make everybody a lot happier if they just told everybody what is going on.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Geeze I don't understand why they have to be so secretive about it. Its a patch to game - not some top secret sequel or something. And its not like somebody is going to steal their "idea" for the patch (its already out for pc anyway).

I think it would just make everybody a lot happier if they just told everybody what is going on.

I agree, why be secretive? It would be nuts for ASPYR to take too long patching this game or to even not bother at all. The only way to play this game is in multiplayer, it has to be patched or Quake Wars is going to be a great mac white elephant. :(

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
I agree, why be secretive? It would be nuts for ASPYR to take too long patching this game or to even not bother at all. The only way to play this game is in multiplayer, it has to be patched or Quake Wars is going to be a great mac white elephant. :(

I'm not digging around for the information right now, but if I remember correctly, it took over two months for quake 4 to get patch 1.4 after windows got it.

Multiplayer sucked.

And they of course treated that like it was top secret too. Honestly though, there's probably no information they could've given us that would have satisfied me about waiting that long... maybe that's why they're so secretive.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I figure it's most likely NOT that they're keeping anything secret... but rather that the don't know anything for certain. They may think it's coming in a week--but if they say that and it actually requires 2 weeks then they'd wish they'd said nothing.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I noticed after it first came out my ETQW didnt update but yesterday it told me there was a update which I installed. I guess it just took a little time, anyways all seems well.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cool--I was wondering if the game itself would notify people. I didn't wait to find out :)

PS, I'd like to ask again if other people see the same problem I do. Under Game Settings > Advanced, you can change the quickchat and context menus to use letter-shortcuts instead of numbers. Letters mode doesn't work for me, and other Mac users have reported the same. Anyone else? Numbers mode works fine.

Letters are much easier to remember: N for need, R for radar, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.