ETA for updated Thunderbolt Display to use with 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatriotInvasion, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I just purchased the 13" rMBP and would love to have a the Thunderbolt Display as a desktop companion. The only problem is that its obvious an update is coming to the current 27" TB Display given its MagSafe 1 connector and the new iMac's manufacturing process adhering the screen to the glass and stuff.

I don't want to buy the current version and have the update come out right after. What is everyone's sense as to the release of an update given the yield issues on the 27" iMac? December? early Winter? Spring?:confused:

I have to think Apple's obsession over unifying next-gen connectors (Lightning, MagSafe 2) would motivate them to release an update soon - especially with all newer MacBooks coming with MagSafe 2. To have to use a dongle right out of the current gen's box for a rMBP is kind of a turn off.

2. Melons macrumors member

I think the yield problem they are having with displays now is pushing the release date of a new 27" display. Even though its not updated in the sense of connectors, iMacs are in focus atm. And you get a free Magsafe 2 adapter along with it.

My suggestion for next update is next summer.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I would be very surprised if it takes them that long. Especially given that all they need to do is add a MagSafe 2, USB 3.0, and use the new display manufacturing process to give it a thinner profile. I'd say by March or April once the iMacs have worked out any production set backs. Although, anything is possible with Apple outside of their mainstream products.

BTW - Apple could sell SO many more Thunderbolt Displays if they marketed them and made them a worthwhile add-on offer with a new Mac. They should totally be offered at a slight discount at the time of purchase with a Mac as an up-sell offer. And, if they made a 21.5" alongside the 27" using the iMac's same 1920x1080 display for say $599, that would be very compelling as well. Not sure why they don't.

4. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Whatever they do, can they PLEASE make it have the same aesthetics as the iMac (with the "chin")? As crazy-anal as Apple is about their industrial design and everything fitting together, having those two next to each other is just appalling. Let alone the aesthetics of it, it's annoying to have two monitors at different heights (especially when you can't adjust said height).

5. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I just sold my 27" iMac and was a little tired of the "chin". The 27" TBDisplay is MUCH better looking with just the bezel. If anything, I wish they could have made the new iMacs looks like the Thunderbolt Display.

If the look of the screens together bugs you that much, invest in a MBP + 2 Thunderbolt Displays. Lots of money, but you'd be happy:D

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I was kind of hoping for the same thing-iMac with the same form factor as the TBD. They could have done it by just making it thicker (which, who cares if it's thick-not like you stare at it from the side anyway). But then I guess Phil couldn't have spent 45 minutes seeing how many times he could say "thin" and "beautiful". :D

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Won't be out until their iMac line is shipping in high volume.