/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by headrogue, Feb 8, 2014.

1. headrogue macrumors newbie

to let you know beforehand
    nope, I haven`t saved data before for about 2 months...
    (shouldn`t mean, those aren`t vital)

Hello,
    when starting my mac mini (os x 10.4.11) a black screen appears with:

/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
    -sh-2.05b#IOBluetooth HCIController: : start Idle Timer Stopped

Before that started to happen, I binned several data from an admin account (for reasons, of course, as I need space to fix another problem)
    among others I deleted mail, what else I don`t remember, it`s several months ago)

Switched back to my standard account (also admin) and recognized a ? above the mail icon.
    If memory serves me right, nothing else noticable happened when I continued the session.

Shut down later, (eventually I shut down soon), next day when starting- above mentioned.

a right amount of hints might be usefull.
    thanks in advance.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You deleted files the system needs to boot. Reinstall the operating system from your startup disc.

3. headrogue thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply.

I read about the possibility of data loss in case of a reinstalation...
    what about that?

I really don`t have a clou about computers so I can only refer to what I `ve read...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should backup first just to be safe, but a normal reinstall of OS X without erasing the disk will not wipe your data at all. There is always the possibility the stress of a OS reinstall will kill off a near death drive though.

5. headrogue thread starter macrumors newbie

it`s done.

glad am I.

thank you.

but- back up from a not running system?
    How to do this?

Now I only have to find a solution for my not beeing able to log in into one of my accounts - problem before updating to the latest possible osx...

...tomorrow.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You're supposed to backup before you have a problem. Anyway you could try to target disk mode and copy your files to another Mac, or get an external drive and install OSX on it, boot from it and try to get at your files, or boot in safe mode (if possible) and copy your files to an external drive.

If all that isn't possible then you'll have to take a chance on a reinstall from your OSX boot disk.