Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devilsfan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Totowa, NJ
After many months of trying to figure out what to put on it I finally got it etched. I went to EYS Laser in NJ. What do you guys think?

DSC0154031.jpg

Devilsfan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Totowa, NJ
Well I found some decals and I vectorized them and combined them. My goal was to make it look like they were fighting for the apple.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
i really quite like the Yoshi, but I am not a fan of the Mario in Iron Man pose...

that said, it'd look a little empty if there was just the yoshi...

though i have to say, gutsy for the permanency of the etching :)

Devilsfan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Totowa, NJ
Thanks! Ya it was actually quite an easy process and I'm glad it doesn't void the mac warranty. It is like tattooing your mac though heh.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Thanks! Ya it was actually quite an easy process and I'm glad it doesn't void the mac warranty. It is like tattooing your mac though heh.

Actually, it does "technically" void AppleCare. The rationale behind this being that Apple takes the entire LCD assembly when it breaks, then refurbishes it in another location to be used with another machine (one sent in for repair, or rebuilding a refurb machine before sale.)

If you are lucky, the genius will give you a "that's so cool!" instead of a "Here is the bill." :p

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Why doesn't Apple offer this? They seem to enjoy separating people from their money. Not that I have a problem with that, necessarily. :p

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Isn't that a copyright violation? I work for an company that does engraving and we are expressly not allowed to use/do any images that might be protected by copyright. I had a guy come in just tonight wanting a Superman emblem on something and I had to turn him away.

Still looks good, regardless.

Devilsfan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Totowa, NJ
What did that cost and where did you have it done?

I got it done at EYS Laser (eyslaser.com)

They are located in Little Falls, NJ for anyone in the NYC/NJ area.

I found the process to be really safe as well. Im gonna get my iPhone done later.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Sweet. I'd definitely like to get something etched. I'd like to mirror my tattoo, but as it's so personal I'd feel bad about ever selling the laptop!

Maybe something Banksyish?

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Isn't that a copyright violation? I work for an company that does engraving and we are expressly not allowed to use/do any images that might be protected by copyright. I had a guy come in just tonight wanting a Superman emblem on something and I had to turn him away.

Still looks good, regardless.

Technically yes probably it is. Is anyone ever going to do or say anything about it other than you? probably not. Its a technicality.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
That Mario pic is from Super Smash Bros Brawl...recognized it immediately. xD

mario.jpg

Very awesome!

Devilsfan85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Totowa, NJ
Yup thats the one! One of the guys who runs the place put an ironman on his laptop. It wasn't with the hand like the one someone posted up top. It was glowing in the center of his chest with the apple. It looked pretty cool too. I think I saw it in their gallery.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
What machine did you get it engraved with (epilogue, Universal, Gravograph?) Also, do you recall the temature and speed ettings that were used and the strength of the laser?

I have a laser engraver at work but have up until this point been reluctant to do it. Plus, not quite sure what image I would choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.