Etched Text Font

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Drew017, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Can anybody tell me where or how I can get my hands on that Etched Text font that is used on Mac OS X Title bars and Tool Bars? Any thing will help!

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I believe it is Lucida Grande, which comes with the OS.

However, the etched look is an effect applied to the font as it's displayed, not built-in.

3. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yes, but how can I save it as an actual font?

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can. Fonts are limited to one color, as far as I know. So you couldn't get the black with the offset white.

You could define a style to do this, I think, in some programs. It depends on what program you're using. If all else fails, you could probably just have two layers of text, one white, one black, and offset it. What program do you want to do this in?

Once upon a time on the Amiga, there were ColorFonts that could do things like etched text (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AmigaColorFont.png) But I haven't seen them anywhere since.

5. PhilConners macrumors newbie

You could create the font in just about any text editor that will allow you to apply a drop shadow to text. This would work for word, photoshop, html and likely many other programs.

All you need to do is apply a white or slightly grey (#F2F2F2) drop shadow 90º downward. This might be 90, -90, 270... depends on how the program wants to describe it. Here are the settings to make it in word. I'm sure this style can be saved somehow: [​IMG]
    Keep in mind the background is going to have to be dark to see the drop shadow.

6. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Thanks!:) I have word, and I'm going to try it. The reason I want to make/ this font is because I have tiger, and the titlebar fonts aren't etched like in leopard onward, so it can be hard to see them. If I install or get this font, I can use Tinker Tool to set it.

My only question, is that will I be able to actually create a font using word?