Eternal Sonata - Spoilers Maybe

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by pcypert, Apr 30, 2008.

1. pcypert macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    Again, I know its an old game, but going to give my thoughts for anyone looking to pick this up.

Graphics: Really cool style. Get over the "kiddie" look and bright colors. Enjoy a game that's finally not the same color pallete as all the FPS games. Is a bit annoying with the fixed camera. Some puzzles seemed harder to me because I couldn't look around the map first. Guess it was a choice that allowed them to make more epic art, but still...

Story: Pretty weak. Do you think the people who made it are against the war in Iraq? :D Repeat things waaaaayyy too much and overstate the whole damn story, plot, them. Typing as the credits roll and they have a nice reminder of their pretentiousness playing behind the credits.

Gameplay: I like the use of turn base and the way they handled it. Like the development throughout the game. By the end was dealing 150K with healing....got pretty unstoppable:) Actually found the earlier fights tougher. By the end the game was pretty easy. Maybe I did the grind too much earlier on...finished at LVL 55 I think for all three characters (All, Viola, Salsa). Dunno if that's good or not, but the last few bosses were damn easy.

Music: The Chopin stuff was good. The original score was pretty cheesy. Thought I was watching some b rate Chinese fantasy piece...which I guess I was. They should have gone for really simple piano pieces on real pianos and skipped all the synth stuff.

Stupid Stuff:
    They go through this long story bit about Chopin's girl being mannish, then have a girly girl not in pants at his death bed.
    Voice acting = Boo!
    Plot in general = Boo! Half the damn game is cheesy acting scenes.
    Choice in the game = 0. I guess other games are starting to spoil us. But this is a rail RPG if those exist. Could have just had us press A for 30 hours...been about the same experience :D

It was a decent enough game. Certainly nothing left to pull me back for another play through. An OK once through. That's about it. Not award winning by any means, but a fun enough game to pass the time. I think I played about a week off and on...not as much as I had been. If I'd of skipped the cutscenes probably could have finished this in around 15 hours or a bit more. And there's tons of plot that happens in those scenes...but not really plot that's worth catching.

Paul

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's pretty much the problem with all the J-RPG's these days though lately.

It's about time they really need to re-invent the J-RPG or it will become just an outdated institution. Most of these new J-RPG games are merely built on all the stereotypes of those gone before and you can't help feel - been there... done that...

3. pcypert thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah man,
    Ending got waaay worse. Should have just shut up when they had the chance.

Forgot to add...creepy, creepy game. 8 year olds in lovers feuds...14 year old romantic love, and I don't even want to think about the Chopin/Polka undertones. Yikes.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's like being in America's deep south :D