eth01 only connects at 100Mb

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by for329, Jul 24, 2010.

1. for329 macrumors member

I am having this problem were ethernet port 1 will not connect at gigabit speed. When I plug in the cable the status for that port switches between no cable detected and no ip address. If I go into the advanced tab and then the ethernet tab where it is set to configure automatically that for a brief second it will show that it is at 1000baseT full-duplex but then goes blank when it alternates between no cable detected and no IP.This problem happens on two managed procurve switches but will get gigabit speed on an unmanaged procurve switch. I can also connect directly to another computer at gigabit speed. The only way I can get this port to connect to my managed switches is to manually configure it at 100baseTX. This problems happens on two different installation of OS X on this computer. I have tried different cables with no luck. I am trying to setup link aggregation and need to get this port connected at gigabit speed. Does any one have suggestions that I could try?

2. PaulD-UK macrumors member

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

That is ****. I've done 70Mb/sec through my Airport extreme to my Mac Pro EASY.

4. PaulD-UK macrumors member

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

What do you mean?

I've done 70 Megabytes in and out of my Mac Pro 2009 :confused:

You've confused me now :p

6. PaulD-UK macrumors member

Hi
    ???
    Quote:
    In raw speed, AirPort Extreme apparently out-performs other draft 802.11n products in the marketplace. ZDnet reviewed Trendnet's N-Draft PC Card and router combination, and saw 83 Mbit/sec (just a hair slower than AirPort Extreme's 86 Mbit/sec)."
    http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/airportn/

So if your Airport Extreme does 60MBytes/sec its running the 100m in 5 secs... :D

In my link earlier, SmallTree are running up against the Mac Pro 2009's ethernet disconnect problem in 100% of their clients trying to configure a video-editing NAS mode. If you've got an effective workaround I'm sure their R&D department would be interested to know ;)

7. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

It's a gigabit ethernet switch... IE 1000Mbits....

8. for329 thread starter macrumors member

It is a 2009 mac pro. I am not running at ethernet disconnect problems it just won't connect at gigabit speed but I figured I would have to go through the route of adding another card since I couldn't think of anything else that could be done. Does any have suggestions of which card I should get that supports link aggregation and will work on a mac. Thanks

9. PaulD-UK macrumors member

10. for329 thread starter macrumors member

Will the Apple Dual-Channel Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Card work in the mac pro? I can get a deal on one and on the page it says under system requirements xserve early 2009 but it is a pcie card and I don't see why it wouldn't work in a mac pro. Would this work in OS X or only OS X Server since it has xserve as the system requirements. Thanks for your help.

11. PaulD-UK macrumors member

Hi
    Should do.
    Quote:
    ...802.3ad trunking.

The Mac Pro is the only desktop Apple system compatible with this card...

12. for329 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I got the card today and all is working.